We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from Miami to Brazil

Key West
Level Contributor
115 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Flying from Miami to Brazil

I am thinking of going to Brazil for the WC. Ultimately, I would like to go to Rio...but would consider flying into Sao Paolo and then adding on a trip to Rio to catch a match and perhaps cut down my trip expenses. Is flying within Brazil inexpensive? MIA-Sao Paolo is going to be added itinerary for American...this is why I am considering it. I know nothing about Sao Paolo other than that it is one of the most populous cities (if not the largest) in S.America....Sincerely, inexperienced Brazilian Tourist.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying from Miami to Brazil

Miami is a very popular destination for Brazilians so it's a highly competitive route. What I can say is that non-stop flights from Brazil to the US and vice-versa can be much more expensive than flights with a quick stop in Atlanta (Delta), Charlotte (US Airways), Bogotá (Colombia - through Avianca), Copa (Panama - Copa Airlines), etc. You can sometimes find excellent deals. However, World Cup will be a very expensive time to travel, so I recommend you book in advance and use websites such as Decolar.com (I'm not sure if it is available in English, but Google may help you with that) where you can find excellent deals. I got a round-trip ticket to the US for 699 USD (Rio-Atlanta-NY/NY-Atlanta-Rio) this year and it was 300 less expensive than in Delta's official website.

Also check your visa requirements and tickets.

São Paulo is a big corporate city/concrete jungle with some good museums, excellent (really outstanding) restaurants, bars and clubs. Also excellent hotels. I wouldn't say "hey travel all the way to go there", but if you're going to a match, it's definitely better than other host cities.

Key West
Level Contributor
115 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying from Miami to Brazil

Thx....I'll check out Decolar.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,861 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying from Miami to Brazil

Flying within Brazil can be very expensive.

Brazil's consumer watchdog, Procon, has asked five airlines to reduce “abusive” domestic fares during next year's FIFA World Cup. Avianca, TAM, Gol, Azul and Oceanair have been accused of inflating prices up to 10-fold during the June 12-July 13 tournament.

Procon demanded a return to “normal pricing” and has asked airlines pay affected customers twice the amount charged in compensation.

http://bit.ly/1b4s2yo

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying from Miami to Brazil

complementing on #1 answer.

decolar.com is in portuguese only. and probably only takes Brazilian credit cards (but check it out anyway)

but it is in fact a subsidiary of an Argentine website, called despegar.com, which is in Spanish only - but it does have USA contact numbers and a USA version of the website, so it shoud take US credit cards too:

http://www.us.despegar.com/

however, what I have found is that while the Brazilian site lists all 4 Brazilian major airlines (TAM, Gol, Azul and Avianca Brasil - which btw is the new name of Ocean Air)... the despegar.com version only lists TAM.

so, you can use decolar (if you manage to read portuguese) to quickly compare domestic fares, but you will have to buy the tkts elsewhere (e.g., the airlines own website).

look at Copa Airlines too... they fly from Miami (with one stop in the country of Panama) to many cities in Brazil, including Rio, SP and several of the other WC venues, and often have more competitive prices. And it is part of Star Alliance (and its mileage program is actually the same as United's).

should the domestic prices remain too high, SP-Rio is very manageable by bus - which dont change prices... and forget any comparison to Greyhound service and crowd, buses are way better here... you can take a look at prices/schedules here:

buscaonibus.com.br/en/…

for bus fares, higher fare = better and more comfortable service; very much worth paying the highest price you can afford.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying from Miami to Brazil

Another option is TACA Airlines for a non-non-stop flight.

Key West
Level Contributor
115 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying from Miami to Brazil

Thanks a lot! I was thinking there might also be ticket consolidaters.

7. Re: Flying from Miami to Brazil

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2014, 06:18