We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap flight to Rio for World Cup

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap flight to Rio for World Cup

I've been looking for flights to Rio and it's way too much. Right now it's around $3000 when the regular fare is between $1000-1500.

I can get a flight to Lima for around $1000, does South America have cheap flight airlines like in Europe, Asia and US? Examples being Easyjet, Jetstar, Southwest.

I would be willing to fly to Lima and then take a different flight to Rio for $400-500. Expedia is showing that such a flight is right now around $2200 during the World Cup!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
152 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap flight to Rio for World Cup

I got a ticket from PDX to Rio for around $1600 for the World cup.It was through onetravel.com

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap flight to Rio for World Cup

Well, just looked for flights at Copa Airlines and found tickets at US$ 2000 (from Vancouver).

It's definitely very expensive, but try looking at the website posted by #Vijay, because he really got a good deal considering it's the WC.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap flight to Rio for World Cup

I'm considering flying from Seattle instead. 25% less on average. Check flights daily or get an alert when they drop prices.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap flight to Rio for World Cup

Thanks for all the replies, I'm guessing South America doesn't have a cheap regional airline? I don't mind flying in from another South American city if the flight was much cheaper.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,177 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap flight to Rio for World Cup

Nothing will be much cheaper during the World Cup. The Brazilian government has even created a committee to monitor abusive price hikes of hotel rates and plane tickets during next year's World Cup

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap flight to Rio for World Cup

Reality is that anything cheap was long since booked out tbh mate.

Flying within South America alone is not cheap - and as such there are no real budget carriers like you might find in the USA etc.

new jersey
Level Contributor
934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap flight to Rio for World Cup

Though you didn;t post your specific dates, I did a quick internet search and found a 1235 USD fare from Seattle to Sao Paolo from June 12-July 1st. on Alaska Air w. code share with TAM air thru DFW.. Found quite a few others under 2k. Air Canada has some flight out of Toronto for around 1500 USD depending on your dates. I know that is not near you, but it gives you an idea to search from other international airports.

I think you'll find the ket to finding a cheaper airfare is to be flexible in the departing/arriving cities.

London, United...
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap flight to Rio for World Cup

Internal flights are bad enough.... can't see you getting a flight from Peru to Brazil for anything approaching reasonable. If you really wanted an adventure, maybe you could get a bus from Lima over the Brazilian border? Catch a flight from Rio Branco in Acre?

For the time, money and hassle it doesn't seem worth it....all the flights mentioned here seem better

São Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
799 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap flight to Rio for World Cup

There is a bus direct from Lima to São Paulo. In São Paulo you can easily connect to another bus to Rio de Janeiro (6 hours) or Curitiba (6 hours), among other World Cup venues.

The price (according to a Yahoo respondent) is 225 USD.

Other buses come to Brazil from Buenos Aires, Asunción and Santiago del Chile.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap flight to Rio for World Cup

I just got my tix for less than 1300 round trip from Seattle to Rio for WC.

Edited: 01 December 2013, 17:56