We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rio

Poznan, Poland
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
rio

Hi. I would like to stay with my family (wife and 6yo son) in Niteroi (mercure hotel) 13 nights. Can U help me and sugest how can I get to Rio. What is cheaper and easier taxi or ferry. What is safer?. How much cost ferry.? Peter

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rio

1) A cab ride will be very expensive, as Niterói is another municipality and there is a toll on the bridge that connects both cities. A cab from Ipanema to Niterói may be as expensive as R$ 100. It's a safe option, anyway;

2) Ferries are safe and a new station in Niterói has just opened. Here's the ferry schedule: grupoccr.com.br/barcas/linhas-horarios-tarif…

it costs R$ 4.50, the journey takes 20min and you'll get to Praça XV. The schedule shows "Dias úteis" (business days) and the time in red is the departure time. "Fins de semana e feriados" means "weekends and holidays".

Praça XV is fine during week days, but avoid it on weekends and holidays, when it is too empty and many be a spot for mugging. No one lives in Downtown Rio, which becomes a dodgy area after dark.

On a week day, you'll be fine and it'll be pretty busy with lots of people taking the ferry.

From there, you can walk to the nearest subway station, which is Carioca Station, Avenida Rio Branco.

I still think it would be better for you to stay somewhere in Rio. Tell us your budget and I'm sure DEs and other users will be happy to give you suggestions.

3) There is a comfortable bus line, which goes from Niterói right to the South Side of Rio (touristy area of the city), so this may be also a good option.

Poznan, Poland
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rio

Thank U for ur answer. Its really nice to get solution like this. I had some proposal from some girls from Rio to rent flat but I really dont belive them. Im afraid to paid 500 $ in advance. Booking hotels are safer. Maybe Im wrong. Maybe Im too afraid of Rio. Peter

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,177 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rio

The Mercure Hotel gets good reviews and I'm sure your family will like it, but you do need to be careful traveling to and from the hotel, particularly at night, because Niterói is dealing with some serious crime problems.

4. Re: rio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 December 2013, 20:35
Edited: 07 December 2013, 20:35
Poznan, Poland
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rio

Thank U Monte. I thought Niteroi is safer than Rio. Maybe that was wrong idea to visit Rio.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,177 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rio

Peter, chances are you won't have a problem. Just practice good safety measures.

Safety tips for first-timers in Rio:

http://bit.ly/113p9Yf

The most common forms of crime in Rio affecting tourists are pickpockets and street muggings.

In the past, the security risk was higher than it is today and police protection has improved significantly in the Zona Sul (Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon, Lagoa, Jardim Botanico) and Barra da Tijuca in the last two years. Today, although the likelihood of experiencing crime in Rio has diminished, it still exists. It has to be said that much of the crime that occurs is opportunistic crime. Meaning that criminals focus more on those they think are easy or high-value targets. For example, the elderly, someone walking alone at night, or someone wearing lots of jewelry.

While Rio does have a certain security risk involved, visitors can greatly minimize their risk by following a few common sense rules.

Try to travel in a group preferably with local friends. At night, avoid walking on the streets alone.

Be careful about public transportation at night. Take a taxi and not a bus at night. Late at night, consider booking a radio taxi or calling for a regular taxi, especially when travelling to less secure or unfamiliar locations. Many people prefer calling a taxi company rather than picking one randomly in the street. The line 1 of the underground (especially, Centro-Copacabana) is perceived as being safer that buses, but at night the entrances to the subway stations are a focal point for the homeless.

Be aware of your surroundings and others when walking on the street. Especially at night. If you see a group of young kids that look suspicious walking towards you, cross the street. Avoid dark/enclosed areas.

Do not walk around wearing flashy jewelry or expensive looking items. A basic watch or wedding band is okay (prospective criminals won't be able to distinguish between a fake Rolex or costume jewelry and the real thing).

Do not carry a lot of cash around. Carry around only enough for your expected purchases and a credit card (none if you don't expect to use it). Leave the passport and other credit cards in the safe at the hotel.

Make a copy of the biographic page of your passport and carry this with you.

Do not keep all of your money in one pocket. Distribute it in different pockets.

Take extra care when taking out money from an automatic teller machine. Beware of suspicious characters lurking near by. It is best to use the machines located inside banks, buildings and shopping centers.

Keep digital cameras in your pocket or in non-descript paper or plastic bags.

Don't leave belongings unattended.

The city centre (Centro) should be visited during work hours (but be aware of pickpocketing there); it is generally considered an empty and dangerous place during the weekend and at night—although some parts of it have been renovated, particularly the Lapa district, where many world-class samba clubs are located. Always take a taxi when visiting Lapa and make a reservation at the club you intend to visit in advance.

Rio's beaches are beautiful and seemingly tranquil, and as such may lull you into a relaxed sense of safety. It has been reported, however, that thieves are on the lookout for people who appear to be alone and have cell phones, watches, jewelry, cameras, or anything that can be quickly stolen.

7. Re: rio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2014, 05:17