We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Posto to Hang out in Copacabana,Ipanema or Leblon?

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Best Posto to Hang out in Copacabana,Ipanema or Leblon?

I'm sure this is a silly question, but I'll be in Rio next month with 3 girlfriends during Carnaval and when I vacation I like to experience the city like the locals. I hear certain posts are full of tourists, some are full of the gay population and etc etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a post for 4 single American ladies (that speak little Portuguese and some Spanish) to hang out and meet new Carioca AND tourist friends? We'll be staying in Copacabana but I'm sure we'll go to the beach more than once so we'll navigate to whichever post.

Also, any other beach tips are welcome! I'm a darker skinned woman but I am terrified of burning to a crisp in the hot Brazilian sun! I'm very excited to wear a Brazilian cut bikini though haha

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,494 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Posto to Hang out in Copacabana,Ipanema or Leblon?

Head for Posto 9—and bring a hat, plus plenty of sunscreen:

http://bit.ly/1g76kwo

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Posto to Hang out in Copacabana,Ipanema or Leblon?

I'd do either Posto 9 or 10. I suggest you go somewhere between Rua Garcia D'Ávila and Rua Joana Angélica: http://goo.gl/maps/TRQS6

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
187 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Posto to Hang out in Copacabana,Ipanema or Leblon?

I agree with #1 and 2 - don't waste much time with Copacabana beach. And don't take things you cannot afford to lose to the beach

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,494 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Posto to Hang out in Copacabana,Ipanema or Leblon?

SAmTrax is right: Rio's beaches are beautiful and seemingly tranquil, and as such may lull you into a relaxed sense of safety.

But thieves are often on the lookout for people who have cell phones, watches, jewelry, cameras, or anything that can be quickly stolen.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Posto to Hang out in Copacabana,Ipanema or Leblon?

I don't think you should take lots of belongings to the beach, but I don't think you need to leave your phone at home. Just be discreet about it, take a small bag and put it inside it and make sure your bag is observed by your friends when you leave for some reason (going into the ocean, for instance). As you're a party of four, it's pretty easy to keep your belongings safe in just one bag - no need to bring lots of things which may, eventually, not be observed by you and your friends due to some kind of distraction. Follow this important tip ;)

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Posto to Hang out in Copacabana,Ipanema or Leblon?

Ipanema Beach Posto 7 (surfers) , Posto 8 (more stoners and Gay crowd). Post 9 (young/trendy) and Posto 10 (very upscale). A nice place to stake out is in front of the Caesar Park Hotel between posto 9 and 10. A good crowd and good beach vendors there.

See this webpage for beach tips :

http://bit.ly/1cRNKZj

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Posto to Hang out in Copacabana,Ipanema or Leblon?

Thank you all for your tips! I will be sure to share them with my friends!

8. Re: Best Posto to Hang out in Copacabana,Ipanema or Leblon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro