We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on neighborhood - Arpoador

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, South...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on neighborhood - Arpoador

I'm considering an apartment that appears to be between Ipanema and Copacabana - in Arpoador - on Rua Raul Pompéia (on the end closer to what look to be slums).

Is this safe/recommended? Or should I look to pay more of a premium for somewhere else?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,347 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on neighborhood - Arpoador

Do you have a street number? Have a look at this link to see if it's anywhere near it:

http://www.walkscore.com/score/231-rua-raul-pompéia-rio-de-janeiro-rj-brazil

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on neighborhood - Arpoador

I'm not a fan of Raul Pompéia...it depends on the exact address.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,347 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on neighborhood - Arpoador

Link for rua-raul-pompéia:

http://bit.ly/1cWvvCa

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
28 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on neighborhood - Arpoador

If it is near to Francisco Otaviano street, it is ok. However, if it is near to Sá Ferreira street it is just in front of a major slum (or in the middle of it.

If the price is to low, probably it is near to the slum, so take care.

Arpoador by itself is a very good place to stay (considering that the condo is near to the beach).

Good luck.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on neighborhood - Arpoador

I second #4.

Charleston, South...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on neighborhood - Arpoador

Thanks for the responses. It is between Souza Lima and Francisco Sá.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
28 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on neighborhood - Arpoador

Well, not in the slum neither at the beach. Just in the middle. It seems to be ok, but not perfect too.

Note that this slum is occupied by the Police (it has a UPP). So, it might not be dangerous to stay there due its proximity, just make sure that the apartment is in good conditions, specially because Copacabana (where in fact it is located) is a very old neighborhood.

Despite that, this place is quite near to Ipanema (walking distance) and to the main tourist places in Rio.

Seattle
Level Contributor
913 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on neighborhood - Arpoador

I've stayed at apartments witinh a block or two of that area 3 times so far so I know quite a bit about the area. Most of the apartment buildings seem to be occupied by solid middle to upper middle class people, and I don't remember seeing any real shady or suspicious looking people on those blocks [except for myself :-) ]

The only real minus about the area is that Raul Pompeia is the major bus route out of Copacabana into Ipanema so during rush hours, there is a constant flow of loud, smelly buses driving by, so you should check if you are facing the street if you are bothered by street noise. If the apartment has newer airtight windows with better soundproof qualities, you should be ok.

The favela entrance is on Sa Ferreira and I've walked by the entrance many times without seeing a hint of problems, not to say that it's always safe, but you can't really say that about any part of Rio de Janeiro.

The other good part about the location is that it is only 2 blocks from the Sa Ferreira entrance to the Ipanema metro station so it's very convenient if you are headed to the far end of Copacabana or places on the way to the Centro district.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 13:13
9. Re: Advice on neighborhood - Arpoador

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro