We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50 meter Ferris Wheel to Open in Rio

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
481 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
50 meter Ferris Wheel to Open in Rio

A 50 meter (164 ft) Ferris wheel is expected to open in Rio before carnival. It will be built at Botafogo beach and tourists will be able to enjoy great views of the city such as Guanabara Bay, Sugar Loaf Mountain and Corcovado Mountain. There will be 16 air-conditioned capsules, each with a capacity of 8 persons. The attraction will stay there until the end of the Olympic Games in 2016.

…globo.com/rio/roda-gigante-de-botafogo-deve…

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,130 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 50 meter Ferris Wheel to Open in Rio

Sounds like great fun. I suspect the wheel might become a permanent fixture if it proves to be successful.

Rio de Janeiro
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
2,775 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 50 meter Ferris Wheel to Open in Rio

what a silly idea... Rio has no decent amusement park since "Terra Encantada" and Tivoli ruined... If they want to make a "roda gigante", why don't put it in a correct place, inside an a amusement park like SP's Hopi Hari or SC's Beto Carrero?

Try to imitate London is ridiculous.

Bring us their weather instead!

Anyway, thanks for share the info, RioTours.

Welcome back to the forum.

BR

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 50 meter Ferris Wheel to Open in Rio

They did a few years ago in Copacabana and it was huge success. I'm sure this one will be as well.

As MonteCD suggests, it'd be great if they could turn it into a permanent attraction.

Seattle
Level Contributor
979 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 50 meter Ferris Wheel to Open in Rio

I remember the wheel at the Posto 6 end of Copacabana and it always seemed busy. Of couse, it helps that there are hundreds of thousands of visitors to the beach area every day and the weather is great. Seattle put in a ferris wheel along the waterfront a couple of years ago and it seems to do pretty well with a lot less foot traffic and some pretty awful weather for a large part of the year.

I wonder how successful the Botofogo wheel will be. I've walked over to the beach to take some pictures of Pao de Acucar and the beach was pretty deserted compared to Copacabana and Ipanema. Botafogo isn't exactly a hotspot of tourist activity so where are they going to get their customer base?

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 50 meter Ferris Wheel to Open in Rio

Most tourists go to the ocean beaches along Copacabana and Ipanema. Botafogo is a nice area, with some very good restaurants and shops, but I doubt many tourists would want to swim in Guanabara Bay (too polluted). If you're going to Pao de Açucar and/or Corcovado, you'll get far more sweeping views, including of Guanabara Bay. The ferris wheel may be worth a stop if one is going to be nearby, anyway (e.g., to visit the small and often overlooked Carmen Miranda museum in Flamingo park), especially if with kids, but not sure how many tourists will go out of their way to ride it.

Is this going to be a private concern of something constructed with government money?

Edited: 10 January 2014, 16:44
Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
425 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 50 meter Ferris Wheel to Open in Rio

seems to be some type of trend...Atlanta put one in some months ago

7. Re: 50 meter Ferris Wheel to Open in Rio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro