We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoe Shine Scam

London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Shoe Shine Scam

I witnessed a guy cleaning a lady's shoe after pointing to it, squirted with what looked like mustard. I didn't see him squirt it on but I suspect that is what he did. He then asked for 2 Reals, which they paid. Just a few days before, I said to my husband, "I don't see how those shoe shine people can make any money as most people wear flip flops." Now I understand.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,872 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoe Shine Scam

That particular scam is one of the oldest in Rio—and obviously one of the most profitable.

It’s best to ignore these scammers by just walking away and not giving them money.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoe Shine Scam

It's a very, very, old scam. Just ignore anyone coming to you and if they spill something, keep walking. This is more common in Downtown (where obviously there are more people working, so more people to be targeted) -- never seen it happen in the South Side, but if you see someone, just go to another direction. This is usually performed by young adults or teenagers.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoe Shine Scam

often a small child will squirt a goopy mixture of shoe cream onto the shoe of a passing tourist, and then dart away. Then appears the shoe shine guy exclaiming that your shoe is dirty and needs cleaning. he'll wipe the goop away and with slight of hand, want to "clean" your shoes with the same goopy rag. hey, at least he's not wasting the shoe cream!

4. Re: Shoe Shine Scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro