We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking - Leblon to Ipanema question

Antarctic Peninsula
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Walking - Leblon to Ipanema question

Maybe a silly question but if I wanted to drink at a bar in Leblon and walk back to my hostel in Ipanema, is it usually a safe walk at night or should I get a taxi?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking - Leblon to Ipanema question

Walking from Leblon to Ipanema along the main street of Rua Visconde de Piraja to Ave Ataulfo de Paiva in Leblon is safe. I'd avoid walking around in the area very late at night however. You could walk over from Ipanema and taxi back if it's late . the only isolated part of the walk is when you cross the Allah canal bridge which and the metro construction walkways in the area between the two neighborhoods. If there are other people around - then no worries.

São Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
811 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking - Leblon to Ipanema question

It can be done by bus. The 464 bus connects Ipanema (whole district) and Leblon as far as Antero de Quental Square. For Ipanema only, there is the 154 bus, while the 433 covers Leblon only (Ipanema only in the direction towards town)

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking - Leblon to Ipanema question

Take a cab. Buses are not so frequent in the evening and now it's a little bit tricky to take a bus in Leblon due to the subway works (some streets were closed).

Houston-Lisbon-Rio...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking - Leblon to Ipanema question

Greetings,

The answer really depends on how late you would be returning to your room but as others have suggested, it would be wisest to take a cab for the return trip.

Walking to the club / bar shouldn't present a problem as there will typically be lots of folk around but if you are a real night owl and will be rolling back to the hostel around midnight or one or two in the morning, then please do take a taxi.

One other note, after sunset and certainly when late at night, do not walk on the beach-side of the street through Leblon, Ipanema or Copa. Stay on the hotel side of the street.

Safe travels to you!

George B.

5. Re: Walking - Leblon to Ipanema question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro