We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mail - sorry for the dumb question

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
mail - sorry for the dumb question

Is there a service as a UPS store or Mailbox etc in Rio? It doesn't have to be one of these but something similar where one can have mail sent? In contrast to Poste Restante?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
22,242 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mail - sorry for the dumb question

There are DHL offices in Rio:

dhl.com.br/en/…find_dhl_locations.html

Edited: 11 February 2014, 16:44
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mail - sorry for the dumb question

Thanks MonteCD. I actually should have been more specific. I meant to receive mail rather than to ship.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mail - sorry for the dumb question

DHL, Fed Ex and UPS all deliver to Brazil and, depending on the city, have either their own offices or those of affiliates. You'd need to check to see if they can receive and hold items for you, rather than delivering them. Seems logical they could, but I honestly don't know. If you're thinking of having mail sent on a regular basis, this would get expensive since the fees for these courier services can be high (they won't just hold regular mail for you, I'm quite sure). I think American Express had a service like this years ago, but have no idea if that was discontinued.

Brazilian post offices may have a service, but I don't know.

Edited: 11 February 2014, 16:53
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mail - sorry for the dumb question

There is a mail box system in Brazil (caixa postal). According to the official website of our post office, you have to go to an agency which provides this service. They will ask for documents, however, which means that the service may end up being restricted to Brazilians

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: mail - sorry for the dumb question

by documents you mean a CPF? or more involved than that? Thanks everyone.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mail - sorry for the dumb question

A CPF, something to prove you live here (like a bank statement, a bill, whatever) and an ID (which I believe could be a passport - not sure, however). Not all agencies provide this service, so I personally believe that larger ones do.

São Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
836 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mail - sorry for the dumb question

I don't know about Rio, but I remember seeing a Mailbox Etc in São Paulo, in the district of Moema. The prices are a rip-off. I went to inquire about their services but the prices were so high I didn't bother.

8. Re: mail - sorry for the dumb question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro