We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rio violence

northern ireland
Level Contributor
392 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
rio violence

How bad is this new violence in the copa beach area, had a phone call from son to ask me was I mad to go there..I'm from belfast and understand small break outs of street disorder, and violence in small pockets..some understanding from a rio local wud be nice to hear..

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
94 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rio violence

Rio is violent by any standard you may think. If you stay only in touristic areas and use taxis to move around, then you'll probably be ok. There are always exceptions to any rule, though.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rio violence

I strongly disagree with JennerSP. It's perfectly fine to use buses around the South Side of Rio and the subway, which is by far the safest mean of transportation in Rio. Taxis are fine as well.

The events last night were totally isolated, at least in the South Side of Rio. Locals from a favela decided to go down to the streets to protest against the death of a singer from the community. No one knows what happened - if it was an argument between him and someone else or whatever. The protest caused some disorder, not the fact itself.

Sincerly, it didn't change my routine, nor did my friends. I would still come. Rio isn't Geneva, but if you follow some tips and stay street smart (see our Trip Report Thread), it's very likely that nothing will happen to you. I'd say that most cases of Rio are related to small crimes, like pickpocketing and eventual muggings (performed by 15-year olds).

Edited: 23 April 2014, 15:33
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rio violence

I would just add: choose a nice place to stay and if you're coming to a hostel, choose a good location. I think everyone here will be happy to advise on good places to stay. Cheers :)

Edited: 23 April 2014, 15:39
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,177 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rio violence

The violence seems to be getting worse. Practically every day there is an incident of real concern. This does not bode well for the World Cup.

K J
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
689 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rio violence

I do recall this is the second incident in this same area in less than a month. In the other event by the same residents of the same favela, they protested a shooting of a resident. I think people just need to know that things can change in second and if it does, get out of there. Don't hang around and see what is going on or use you phone and film and take pictures. That happened while we were in Sao Paulo. A protest of about 30000 started up. We did not know about it but immediately left the area.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rio violence

Chill out guys. Rio is an enormous city. If you read a news report of violence in New York each day would you say don't go there?? And same for Sao Paulo. There are television programmes dedicated to showing violent crimes. But you can spend months every year in either city without ever witnessing any. Even Copa beach is a pretty big area. Running from one end to the other (a popular morning pastime) is a good work out.

There are sensible 'rules' for tourists using the beach, just as there are rules for using the New York subway.

*Don't walk on Copa beach at night;

*Don't go sunbathing with flashy jewellry and cameras that make opportunistic crime tempting;

*Don't engage with streetkids or leave stuff lying around (ask the person you rent your deckchair from to keep an eye on it if you have to);

*Don't carry valuables you don't need (it's the beach and you're there to swim and sunbathe: your bus fare / taxi home is all you need);

Crime happens. The difference between 1 in a ten thousand and five in ten thousand is academic: It doesn't have to happen to you and probably won't.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rio violence

Thanks, BigStick, for bringing a realistic view on this.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rio violence

Tudo bom. By the way, for people seeing the beach and wanting to get great photos of the lovely view there with Sugar Loaf, a good way and time and place for those memorable pictures is early morning (really early, just after sunrise - don't worry there will be lots of joggers about). Take the last Copa metro stop, Cantagalo, or a taxi/bus, and head for the corner with the fishermens' boats at the end of the beach. (Then for a different beautiful beach, walk 100 yards or so to nearby Ipanema beach.) You get the best light, best viewpoint, and iconic photos to make your friends at home go wow! Then head back to your hotel or apartamento for breakfast!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
137 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rio violence

Thanks for the tip BigStick. Great moniker too. My son and I will definitely do that one of the mornings. Sounds like you know the Rio area a bit. We are staying in the Humaita neighbrohood. Any knowledge you have of that area would be great too.

GA
Level Contributor
35 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rio violence

We were there 2 weeks ago, with our 7 & 9-year-old boys & never felt unsafe. We were comfortable walking a few blocks around our Ipanema hotel at night - TONS of people are out & about in popular areas - and even around Copa during the Night Market. Granted, we were not really out past 10, but no problems. There wasn't anything I ever saw of concern. Only crime that happened to us was ATM card # getting skimmed (large topic on this forum).