We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Head from L.A to Rio. Tips?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
424 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Head from L.A to Rio. Tips?

I have never been to Brazil but my husband is a huge soccer fan and I surprised him with a trip to the world cup. I am going for the beach, shopping and food, any other suggestions of things we shouldn't miss? We found this guide to the World Cup in Rio useful ( …blogspot.com/2014/05/world-cup-2014-rio-de-… ) but I love personal suggestions too!!!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Head from L.A to Rio. Tips?

First of all, make sure he gets his World Cup visa issued by the Los Angeles Consulate (actually located in Beverly Hills). By attaching a copy of the ticket receipt, the visa fee is waived, but the application still has to be submitted. Do it asap, as the WC is very soon. Further information: http://tinyurl.com/q6odmw7 Both of you need a visa (it's required from nationals from a list of countries), but those with a WC ticket don't pay the visa fee.

In Rio, the top attractions are certainly the Sugar Loaf and the Christ. Sugar Loaf is far better organized than the Christ, but with the WC, it should be more crowded than usual. I advise you to get to both places early in the morning, so that you can avoid lines. Corcovado (Christ)'s tickets begin to be sold at 8am. There are two official ways to get to the Christ: the tram service and the shuttle service. Trams depart from Corcovado Station, a tiny little station located in the neighborhood of Cosme Velho. You could get a bus or a cab to Cosme Velho and purchase tickets there. Do it on a clear day, otherwise you'll miss the amazing views from up there. The shuttle departs from two different locations; one in Copacabana (at Praça do Lido) and another one in Largo do Machado (a large square with a subway station which has the same name). Getting the shuttle at Largo do Machado won't be hard if you're staying close to a subway station -- the shuttle makes a faster journey from there, as it's closer to the monument.

Other than those two major attractions, I usually recommend the Municipal Theater in Centro (Downtown Rio). It's located just across the Cinelândia subway station and there are tours in English available. It's a stunning building.

You could also visit the Botanical Gardens, which offer a nice escape from the busy city Rio is.

Make sure to eat at a churrascaria (steakhouse). Porcão Rio's is the most traditional one, but Fogo de Chão has been attracting many costumers and tourists too. These two are more expensive, so you could also try Carretão Ipanema, which is cheaper.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 21:32
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
424 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Head from L.A to Rio. Tips?

Thanks sooooo much! Really helped!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Head from L.A to Rio. Tips?

You have hotel resevations, right? Where? Where else do you want to go? Learning a few phrases in Portuguese will help you. Such as obrigada (obrigado if a man is saying it), meaning thank you. Por favor, please. Quanto custa? How much does it cost? Puxe (pronounced push-eh), which you'll see on doors-- it means pull (push is empurre).

Huntington Park...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Head from L.A to Rio. Tips?

Im leaving from LA to Rio. Ill be there june 9th-17th

12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Head from L.A to Rio. Tips?

Alexuur7, im also heading to Rio from LA on the 9th. Are you flying Copa?

Huntington Park...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Head from L.A to Rio. Tips?

Thebruca- Im leaving American Airlines at 1130am LA to NY and NY to Rio and getting there at 830am

2 female buddies from SF are leaving from LA on the 9th as well. Not sure which airline. Might be copa. making a pit stop in Panama City

7. Re: Head from L.A to Rio. Tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 08:16