We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on a budget in Rio for 6 women? Any tips?

5 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay on a budget in Rio for 6 women? Any tips?

Hi, would anyone recommend a place to stay in Rio? I'm looking at hotels, hostels or airbnb as options and just wondering if anyone has tips. We're on a budget and looking for something decent looking, clean, safe.

-We'll be there Oct 2-Oct 10th, 2014 (8 nights)

-If we got a good deal on a hotel w/ free breakfast that'd be ideal but if there are hostels or airbnb at a lower price that will work too. It just seems easier to stay at a hotel.

-More or less people may be going, right now its between 5-10 ppl but I'm guesstimating 6.

-I'm starting to look now but don't want to book too far in advance in case a better deal or spot is available.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Rio By Bike Tours
Rio By Bike Tours
850 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Hostels in Rio de Janeiro
Hotel Belas Artes
Hotel Belas Artes
#167 of 284 hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Atlantico Palace Hotel Residencia
Atlantico Palace Hotel Residencia
#175 of 284 hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Monza Hotel
Monza Hotel
#211 of 284 hotels in Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay on a budget in Rio for 6 women? Any tips?

There are many neighborhoods other than Copacabana, Ipanema and Leblon where you could stay. Consider Laranjeiras, Botafogo, Cosme Velho, Flamengo, Humaitá, Jardim Botânico, etc.

This relatively new hostel in Laranjeiras has been getting good reviews on TA: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303506-d437191…

It's close to Largo do Machado, a large square from where you can take the subway to Copacabana and Ipanema. Official shuttle vans depart from Largo do Machado to the Christ -- make sure to get there early, as it tends to get crowded. Around the neighborhood, there are many shops and services. Cabs are easily hailed on street and can be a good mean of transportation for the evening/late night.

Botafogo is another neighborhood with new hostels. The Oztel is a good pick: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303506-d317944… Botafogo is mostly residential and has plenty of transportation.

Mentioned in this post
Copacabana Beach
Copacabana Beach
21,222 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Ipanema Beach
Ipanema Beach
16,844 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Leblon Beach
Leblon Beach
3,444 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Cosme Velho
Cosme Velho
102 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Flamengo Beach
Flamengo Beach
291 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay on a budget in Rio for 6 women? Any tips?

Cindy - Your best bet is either a hotel not on the beach, a block back from the main drag, or rent an apartment. The apartment might be cheaper than the long run. I personally wouldnt stay at hostels...never know what you are getting.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay on a budget in Rio for 6 women? Any tips?

BTW, I will be there early Jan, so I've been researching all the hot spots, restaurants, things to do, what not do to, etc. Both TripAdvisor plus cruise critic has info relating to blogs on Rio.

Mentioned in this post
Rio By Bike Tours
Rio By Bike Tours
850 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay on a budget in Rio for 6 women? Any tips?

thanks for the replies, i really appreciate it. there are eight of us and so far an apartment seems like the best deal

i've been looking at apartments on booking.com and there are some good deals on there but they ask for a wire transfer, i'm used to paying online through credit card but i noticed a few mentioned this so maybe its common? ill check to make sure it's legit.

Kyletravelsfar - why is a hotel on the beach not a good idea?

tx again!

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay on a budget in Rio for 6 women? Any tips?

" why is a hotel on the beach not a good idea?"

Much more expensive

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay on a budget in Rio for 6 women? Any tips?

Cindy, check airbnb for apartments. you can pay with credit card there. I've wired money to Brasil before and have used xoom.com and westernunion. western union is a bit easier now but both are quick. I buy a lot of records so a lot of people are not set up that way and paypal is not that popular. So if you decide to do the transfer check those two services. Cheaper than going the bank route.

London
Level Contributor
68 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay on a budget in Rio for 6 women? Any tips?

Myself and a girlfriend are booked into the Samba Palace hostel in June which has great reviews on here, will probably write my own review on my return so check back! x

Mentioned in this post
Samba Palace Hostel
Samba Palace Hostel
249 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
8. Re: Where to stay on a budget in Rio for 6 women? Any tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 May 2014, 23:35
9. Re: Where to stay on a budget in Rio for 6 women? Any tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro