We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
safety

is it safe in avnida delfim moreira leblon area with small children

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
19,256 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety

Leblon is reputed to be the safest neighborhood in Rio, but regardless of where you are in the city, you need to be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Just yesterday a man riding a bicycle in Leblon was mugged by two robbers because he was wearing a gold chain around his neck.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
94 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety

As the previous post said, you always have to be aware. However, I have been in a rented apartment in Leblon since June 20 and it has felt as safe as any major city I've been. In fact, tonight I slept from 6pm until 10pm b/c I was so tired, and I went out alone to grab a pizza. I felt very safe. Great neighborhood.

Rio de Janeiro
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
2,774 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety

i is perfectly safe, Angie. bring your children. How old are they?

There is even an area where mothers use to take their children, called "Baixo Bebê" (means "lower baby" in a free translation")

take a look:

kidsin.com.br/rio-de-janeiro/…

…blogspot.com.br/2013/09/praia-no-rio-com-be…

https://pt.foursquare.com/v/baixo-bebê-leblon/4cd7004dfb595481bf20e750

: )

BR

Aberdeen, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: safety

Thank you so much for your reply and will take care.

Aberdeen, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: safety

Thank you for you reply.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
19,256 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety

Safety tips for first-timers in Rio:

http://bit.ly/113p9Yf

Staying safe in Brazil:

http://bit.ly/1axXqHJ

The most common forms of crime in Rio affecting tourists are pickpockets and street muggings.

In the past, the security risk was higher than it is today and police protection has improved significantly in the Zona Sul (Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon, Lagoa, Jardim Botanico) and Barra da Tijuca in the last two years. Today, although the likelihood of experiencing crime in Rio has diminished, it still exists. It has to be said that much of the crime that occurs is opportunistic crime. Meaning that criminals focus more on those they think are easy or high-value targets. For example, the elderly, someone walking alone at night, or someone wearing lots of jewelry.

While Rio does have a certain security risk involved, visitors can greatly minimize their risk by following a few common sense rules.

Try to travel in a group preferably with local friends. At night, avoid walking on the streets alone.

Be careful about public transportation at night. Take a taxi and not a bus at night. Late at night, consider booking a radio taxi or calling for a regular taxi, especially when travelling to less secure or unfamiliar locations. Many people prefer calling a taxi company rather than picking one randomly in the street. The line 1 of the underground (especially, Centro-Copacabana) is perceived as being safer that buses, but at night the entrances to the subway stations are a focal point for the homeless.

Be aware of your surroundings and others when walking on the street. Especially at night. If you see a group of young kids that look suspicious walking towards you, cross the street. Avoid dark/enclosed areas.

Do not walk around wearing flashy jewelry or expensive looking items. A basic watch or wedding band is okay (prospective criminals won't be able to distinguish between a fake Rolex or costume jewelry and the real thing).

Do not carry a lot of cash around. Carry around only enough for your expected purchases and a credit card (none if you don't expect to use it). Leave the passport and other credit cards in the safe at the hotel.

Make a copy of the biographic page of your passport and carry this with you.

Do not keep all of your money in one pocket. Distribute it in different pockets.

Take extra care when taking out money from an automatic teller machine. Beware of suspicious characters lurking near by. It is best to use the machines located inside banks, buildings and shopping centers.

Keep digital cameras in your pocket or in non-descript paper or plastic bags.

Don't leave belongings unattended.

The city centre (Centro) should be visited during work hours (but be aware of pickpocketing there); it is generally considered an empty and dangerous place during the weekend and at night—although some parts of it have been renovated, particularly the Lapa district, where many world-class samba clubs are located. Always take a taxi when visiting Lapa and make a reservation at the club you intend to visit in advance.

Rio's beaches are beautiful and seemingly tranquil, and as such may lull you into a relaxed sense of safety. It has been reported, however, that thieves are on the lookout for people who appear to be alone and have cell phones, watches, jewelry, cameras, or anything that can be quickly stolen.

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: safety

Today my smart cellphone robbed in copacabana beach ...I chased the guy in the crowd ..all of a sudden I got punch on my face from no where ..The police still far only available street site near but no one in the beach..police when approached were apathetic because they cannot speak english..finally I didn't report..very sad am not in the mood to do anything now

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
19,256 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safety

Amin—I am sorry to hear that your cell phone was stolen and that you were punched while trying to retrieve your property.

Yes, it is extremely discouraging to have been robbed while traveling and it is especially frustrating when the police can do very little to help you.

All I can say is, Try not to let this unfortunate event take the joy out of the rest of your trip because if you remain unhappy that cowardly thief in effect will have robbed you a second time.

Thanks for posting your report. It is a timely reminder to all visitors to Rio to be exceptionally careful during the World Cup, particularly in crowded places.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
94 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safety

Don't even let that bother (I know it's easy to say). The phone is only an item with a dollar value. You could've been seriously hurt chasing the personal. I would've done similar but I believe the authorities are telling people DO NOT CONFRONT the perpetrator when this happens to you. They don't want a small theft to turn into something worse.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safety

I'm very sorry to hear your story. I'd like to make it clear, given my other recent posts on this forum, that I have never said Rio was totally safe during the World Cup. When issuing an opinion, I always tell people to observe their surroundings, their belongings and also to take only the necessary to the beach area. What I have said before - and I still think this way - is that, overrall, it's been safer during the World Cup, as reports I've read are related to pickpocketing, and not to direct confrontations such as muggings, which are much more serious crimes. Anyway, I hope you recover from this and don't let this ruin your trip. All the best

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro