We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Successful Trip Report: Rio for the first Time

Dubai
Level Contributor
270 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Successful Trip Report: Rio for the first Time

Hi everyone!

We just returned to Dubai from an amazing week in Rio De Janeiro Brazil! By the way, this is a surprise trip i arranged for us. My husband was expecting we were going to the Seychelles but only when we checked-in at the airport that he knew we were on our way to South America! haha!

As advised by the D.E. here, we stayed in Botafogo in a new hostel run by a family called Jabanga Hostel. The room we had have airconditioning despite being winter, it's clean with nice breakfast and very helpful staff. I commend the area as it was safe, near the subway, walking distance to Praia Botafogo Shopping Mall and the Botafogo yacht area/Flamengo Beach.

Taking a cab is also easy and relatively cheap if going to tourist areas like The Sugarloaf mountain, Lapa, Santa Terezaand the Corvovado (Cosme Velho Tram). Also one train station away to Copacabana and next to Ipanema.

We had samba, bossanova, Pao de Queijo, Feijoada, Pastel, Tapioca, Churrasco and Caipirinha with all glory! :) We also visited restaurants such as Carretao, Porca and Zuka.

We enjoyed post FIFA vibe at the Stadium tour of Maracana! I still felt that cheerful vibe especially when we went to the players' dressing rooms. wow! could imagine what it was like during the world cup!

Got tanned a bit but the beach's too cold in the morning so we tried the morning jog then afternoon to lounge in Ipanema.

We were also able to visit the Joan Miro and Salvador Dali exhibition in Centro and had tea and biscuits at the Confeitaria Colombo. Had a brief tour of the Biblioteca National and Theatro Municipal at Cinelandia subway Station.

We also hoarded havaianas from Copacabana (we found a nice boutique there) selling them a little lower than the mall and bought souvenirs from Uruguiana market :)

Guess what, we did it all by ourselves with the help of Tripadvisor!! Yehey!! The transpo system of Rio is efficient as I read from your tips here. Because of your answers to my questions, we were able to go from one spot to another in the shortest, fastest way with the best timings as recommended (e.g. sugarloaf or corcovado, early morning or sunset time, etc..)

With your safety awareness advises too, we were able to pull this trip off with a good memory!

Thank you so much for those who really patiently answered my queries on each post I made here.

Truly, you are all a blessing!

We can't wait to come back to Brazil! Thanks!

Edited: 10 August 2014, 13:17
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Successful Trip Report: Rio for the first Time

Dear Pia, thank you for sharing this wonderful trip report with us! I'm very happy to know that our community helped you with lots of tips. This is wonderful! It's great when travelers leave us a feedback. I'm also glad everything went well and that you had a good time here. Hope you come back soon!

If you don't mind, it would be great to see your trip report as a reply to our Trip Report Thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303506-i1199-k698…

All the best

Dubai
Level Contributor
270 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Successful Trip Report: Rio for the first Time

Ok Noted jgsodre :)

3. Re: Successful Trip Report: Rio for the first Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro