We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Rio 2014

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Rio 2014

After much searching, and to no avail, I thought where better to ask than here.

I'm thinking of heading to Brazil this summer, and spending New Years in Rio, but there is no reason why I can't arrive on the 23rd is there?

So my question is this, as a solo traveller, will there be any events on in Rio? I know some places will be open and that the beach will be alluring. To be honest I don't mind spending most of the day by myself, I guess I'm looking for something for when I have my Christmas dinner, even a beach BBQ for eg. so I don't spend the entire day on my own.

What has Rio got to offer a solo traveller on Christmas Eve/day?

Stevie

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Rio 2014

Brazilians celebrate Christmas on the 24th, in the evening. Usually December 25th is not a big deal for Brazilians; maybe a lunch at grandma's, but nothing compared to the day before. Everything should be working on the 24th - I actually love to shop on the 24th - and on the 25th, as it's a holiday, stores should open later.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Rio 2014

Thanks for your reply. Although I am already aware that the 24th is the bigger deal, hence why I plan to arrive on the 23rd at the latest :)

What I want to know is what I can do as a solo traveller to get involved and meet people.

3. Re: Christmas in Rio 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 18:26
Edited: 19 August 2014, 18:26
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Rio 2014

Well, there are usually many activities going on. I've even gone out to clubs after having dinner with family on The 24th when it was a Friday or Sat. The only concern would be finding a place to have dinner on the 24th (after 6pm), as many places close. If I were you, I would connnect to the Rio community on Couch Surfing, which is very active and a nice place to meet other fellow travelers who will be in the same situation. Although originally designed as a place to find a place to stays, it's become a good website for making friends whereas abroad, including locals.

As for my response, Brazilians are not direct in communication and we tend to answer questions in an indirect way. Therefore, this is why I didn't answer your question in the most accurate way - sorry about that.

Last but not least, the 26th is a normal day in Brazil and is not a holiday, unlike other countries.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Rio 2014

I feel like the best when travelling alone is to stay in hostels, where the people will be in the same boat as you, you will know a lot of people. Even if you want privacy, there are options of private rooms. However not everybody like hostels. In Rio there are very nice hostels, with breakfast included.

Also in this time of year, hotels will be very expensive. So you could save a bit staying in a hostel.

Take a look at this (#1 rated hostel in Rio):

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303506-d367340…

Cheaper, but good hostel:

tripadvisor.com.br/Hotel_Review-g303506-d437…

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
22,256 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Rio 2014

Prices for hotels, hostels, and apartments in Rio during the Christmas season double (and sometimes triple)—so be prepared to spend more than you normally would in Rio for accommodations.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in Rio 2014

No need to apologise jgsodre, and thanks for your help. The couchsurfing idea is so obvious I don't know why I didn't think to pop into my account before!

Thanks philip323232, will look into those links you provided.

Accommodation definitely won't be a problem, I'm sure I'll meet other people willing to hang out for a bit.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in Rio 2014

I've been doing a bit of reading about Christmas in Rio.. i can see that in 2012 there was a big Christmas party on the beach. Does anyone know whether this is an annual thing? i saw an old post from 2012 saying it was annual but i cant find it for this year on google!

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas in Rio 2014

I don't see any point in changing your schedule just to be in Rio on the 24th, but getting out of the cold and warming up in Rio is never a bad idea.

Almost every business except hotels are closed by about 5-6PM on Christmas eve. Get an early dinner before all the restaurants are closed for the night. I didn't go but I read that there was a fireworks show at the Lagoa, where the giant floating Christmas tree is located, last year on Christmas eve. If they have a show this year, that would be one of the few events going on.

Quite a few places reopen on the 25th so it's almost, but not quite business as usual

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas in Rio 2014

My suggestion is: go to CouchSurfing, which is a website originally designed for travelers to find a place to stay (for free), but has become a good platform for making new friends and contacting other travelers. I'm sure there'll be travelers looking for a nice Christmas activity this year! There is a Rio community there which is quite vibrant.

In Brazil, Christmas Eve is the big deal, whereas Chrismas Day is sometimes not even observed (some people have lunch, but nothing compared to the 24th).

Edited: 11 December 2014, 21:42