We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shop for clothing in Rio

Noord-Holland...
9 posts
Save Topic
Shop for clothing in Rio

Hello !

This october I will be visiting Rio for 7 nights and then leave for a roundtrip for 3 weeks.

I am wondering if clothing in Rio is expensive or not

I was thinking to bring as less clothes as possible to Rio and buy it there, such as tanktops and shorts (coloured swimming shorts). Does anyone know if tanktops and shorts are cheap in Rio ?

Here in the Netherlands you pay around € 25/30 (R$ 70/80) for swimming shorts and the same for a tanktop.

Thanks!

Tarm, Denmark
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shop for clothing in Rio

Rio is a pretty expensive place to stay, and I was a little surprised first time I was there... I thought Rio was cheap compared to Denmark and Europe, but I was wrong. Everything is pretty expensive, and brands from outside Brazil, are much cheaper to buy in Europe.

Brazil have high tax on anything imported, to protect their national products, so go for Brazilian brands, if you want to shop clothes. And don't look at the famous Brazilian brand Osklen, if you are on a budget :D Very cool clothes they have IMO.

The only thing, that I consider as cheap there, is restaurant visits.

Noord-Holland...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shop for clothing in Rio

Thanks for your reply Hans!

Wasn't thinking about buying brand clothes, so cheap shorts (brazilian brand) is fine with me :)!

Do you have any examples of prices for clothing ?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,494 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shop for clothing in Rio

Shopping Centers in Rio:

http://bit.ly/q6Qp7L

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shop for clothing in Rio

A t-shirt from a Brazilian brand is at least R$ 70.00 - 80.00 at places such as Redley (which is a brand I like). I'm not a big fan of deparment stores, but you may find similar or lower prices at Zara. It's basically much more expensive to go shopping here than in Europe, including restaurants. Right now, the euro is much more valued, so perhaps you won't have this same impression, but from my personal experience, I think Brazil is very expensive.

Redley: http://tinyurl.com/yjq5czl (they also sell online, so you can have an idea);

Other brands such as Osklen are very expensive...a t-shirt isn't less than R$ 100...so something like 30 EUR.

Prices are basically much higher if compared to the ones in the US.

Shirts (for workplace) are sometimes R$ 100 or R$ 150...very expensive. Same shirts would cost US$ 15, 20 in the US.

Shoes are sometimes cheaper here.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shop for clothing in Rio

Leather shoes as JGSODRE said I think its less expensive in Brazil. Last time I had travelled to Europe I though they were very expensive.

Havaianas flip-flops are really cheap in Brazil as its made here.

The jeans in brazil used to be famous as developing trends in fashion. Some popstars used to use jeans made in Brazil. Im not sure if this trend still exists.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shop for clothing in Rio

I agree that it is expensive compared to many places, including much of Europe.

On the other hand, it is possible to buy cheaply if you don't want very trendy stuff. I would rather be seen strolling to the beach in Rio wearing a 50Rs pair of shorts from the market than any pair of shorts bought elsewhere. If you do bring shorts with you, I'd suggest that you consider bringing ones that don't stand out too much, but also, very important, they should come down at least to the knee.

The easiest, and one of the biggest places to go in Rio for cheap clothing (and cheap everything) is Saara market. Be warned that visitors have widely differing impressions and experiences of the place. First time I went, many years ago, I hated it. Now I quite like the area. Not only for the market itself, but some of the shops nearby (especially as you go down to Rua Carioca, near the Metro Carioca) have clothes at almost the same price and you can try them on in peace and quiet without any market stall hype. Plus almost adjacent there are street performers (Rua Uruguiana), iconic places like Confeitaria Colombo, a park with small animals, second hand bookshops of jaw-dropping decadence, dance studios that don't charge a fortune for classes, and several Metros to get out of there when you feel you've had enough. There are places that are even cheaper, but I wouldn't suggest them as a first time visit, and the saving is not that much when you calculate it (is 5 Euros that much when you think how much you have spent getting there??)

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g303506-… (Saara on TripAdvisor)

comprenasaara.com.br/portal/como-chegar-a-sa… (official website with map)

http://www.confeitariacolombo.com.br/site/ (Cafe Colombo)

Noord-Holland...
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shop for clothing in Rio

Wow!!! Thanks you guys, you helped out allot!

Can't wait to go to Rio, just 6 weeks left !!

About the flip flops I already thought they were cheaper in Brazil then in Europe, thanks for the confirmation though!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,494 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shop for clothing in Rio

Vintage shopping in Rio’s thrift shops:

http://bit.ly/1Bsa4DO

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shop for clothing in Rio

A place which I find interesting to shop in Rio is Galeria River, in Arpoador (between Ipanema and Copacabana). It's a small place with many surf stores and new brands, which have lower prices. Real beach culture ( http://tinyurl.com/lovctba ).

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,503 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shop for clothing in Rio

I love the vibrant colors and styles of clothing in Brazil and have always purchased several articles of clothing on every previous visit to Rio.

Osklen is a must (stylish beachwear, great shorts and great t-shirts), though very expensive. They have locations in the US as well and I almost always pick something up when I am in Miami....in Ipanema, they have a sister store called Brazilian Soul which is also very nice.

Other nice places with stylish jeans, long sleeve dress shirts, tank tops, t-shirts, polo shirts, and other casual but stylish menswear include:

Essencial de Mary Zaide (flagship store in Ipanema and malls throughout Rio)

VR Menswear (some years I love their styles; other years not so much....malls throughout Rio)

Limits (great T-shirts)

Foxton (shop in Ipanema)

Sandpiper (hit or miss)

You can do a Google and probably come up with websites for above companies....I am shorter (5'8") but in great shape and what I like is that most of the clothes in Rio fit me extremely well--as opposed to the oversized product that caters to many Americans not in as great shape as me (i.e. Nordstroms) where I live back home.

Edited: 12 September 2014, 19:49