We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio during Thanksgiving

virginia, USA
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rio during Thanksgiving

I and my wife will be in Rio from Nov 23-27th (unfortunately, a short trip). We want to stay in Ipanema and do a day trip to Paraty or Buzios. We want to visit a coffee plantation, see a soccer game, catch a good show. I have the following questions:

1. Any hotel recommendations (under $150) with good views?

2. Paraty sounds like an overnight trip. Is it worth doing that in such a short trip? How do I arrange transportation?

3. Any good coffee plantations worth visiting?

4. We are predominantly vegetarian- we eat only chicken. Any veggie friendly restaurant recommendations?

5. What is a good samba show to see?

Any other tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I can also be reached at hello_srini@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance,

Srini

Tour Guide Glayber - Private Day Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Kings Turismo
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
CCR Barcas
Ferries, Taxis & Shuttles
Rio
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rio during Thanksgiving

1. Arpoador hotel - only hotel right on beach even if it isnt the nice part of beach in Ipanema. Best Western's Ipanema Sol is also good choice.

2.Parati is near Angres dos Reyes .There are bus to boat day tours to Angres that are quite nice. I know of no such tours to Parati. Your hotel concierge can arrange such a tour.

3.There are several coffee plantations and to tour them would require close to a full day as they are more than an hour outside town. Again see concierge.

4.New Nartural on Baron de Torre near Farme de Amoeda in Ipanema ( see my review in restaurants thread).

5.Cidade de Samba near Praca Maua.

The American Society of Rio is holding its annual Thanksgiving Day feast at the Copacabana Marriot on T day in late afternnon. It will be a nice event and may be something you would like to attend. Cost is about R$ 75 with kids cheaper. Tickets can be bought at door or by contacing the ASR:

Tel: (21) 3852-5993

Fax:(21) 2509-1563

E-mail: americansociety@dh.com.br

2. Re: Rio during Thanksgiving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2007, 13:02
virginia, USA
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rio during Thanksgiving

Thank you for the responses. I may have to give the coffee plantations and paraty a miss, given the short time. Do you recommend Buzios or Petropolis instead? Which of the two is better?

How is the Praia Ipanema hotel? I will definitely catch the Cidade de Samba show.

I also want to do the Favela tour. From reading the posts, I see that there is a cetrain amount of danger involved. Is that the case?

Do you recommend any good tour guides? With Favela and soccer game, I may need the services of a guide. Any soccer games around that time in Maracana? Especially if Vasco and Flamngo are playing ...

Thanks again,

Srini

virginia, USA
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rio during Thanksgiving

I just checked out Rio Internacional Hotel. It looks beautiul. Any thoughts of the hotel and the cost (US $190 per night for a Superior Room King Size Bed Side Sea View With Balcony.

Srini

5. Re: Rio during Thanksgiving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2007, 13:02
NYC, Atlanta...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rio during Thanksgiving

Search for apartments! They are much better, less expensive and more comfortable!

tom

Massachusetts
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rio during Thanksgiving

My husband and I will be in Rio at the end of November, and are also interested in seeing Cidade de Samba and Petropolis. We are planning to stay at the Sol Ipanema. I would very much appreciate advice on how to get to and attend the Cidade de Samba, and how best to get to/from Petropolis.

Many thanks for all the wonderful information provided by this forum,

Drundle

Rio
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rio during Thanksgiving

A cab from Ipanema to Cidade de Samba won't be more than $R20.

Petropolis is a bus ride unless you want to pop about R$300 for a taxi to take you there, wait around, and take you back - an all day deal you should be able to arrange while you are here. You may be able to fine a taxi driver that speaks english for this kind of a deal.

]

Massachusetts
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rio during Thanksgiving

So many thanks for your prompt response, Darmanad. Can you tell me where we would pick up the bus to Petropolis, and whether we will need reservations? We are fine with local busses, assuming that they are relatively safe with normal travel precautions. Do we ask our concierge to arrange for tickets to Cidade de Samba, or just purchase them when we arrive? Are the performances a certain day of the week?

Again thanks,

Drundle

Rio
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Rio during Thanksgiving

Actually I think the cidade de Samba shows are limited to week ends or even just Fridays now. Not 100% sure though an exhibit of Samba parade paraphanalia is open all afternoons.

No need for Petropolis bus reservations advance to your arrival but you may want to make a reservation after you arrive though I am unfamiliar with the frequency/occupancy of the buses.