We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teresopolis?

Philadelphia...
4 posts
Save Topic
Teresopolis?

Hello.

My girlfriend and I will be venturing to Brazil in two weeks! We are adding the final touches to our itinerary and realized we may be in Rio for a little bit too long. After reading other posts we're interested in visiting Teresopolis, more specifically, hiking in Serra dos Orgaos National Park. Now I have several questions regarding this trip.

. What bus do I take from Rio to get to Teresopolis and from there how do we arrive in Serra dos Orgaos?

. How much is the bus ride roundtrip?

. Is it necessary to book a tour or could we hike on designated trails by ourselves?

Any feedback/experiences would be great to hear considering I have not heard much from others about this area.

Thank you!

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Teresopolis?

Well first of all, Serra do Orgaos is as big as Cuba.So some treks you can do by your own, but it is better to go with a guide.Many have ventured into the wilderness.And many have paid the price by getting lost or hurting themselves.There is information in the entrance where you pay the entrance fee.They can certainly inform you which trails can be done on your own.

But as a starting point for your adventure,i would rather recommend Petropolis.That way you can see the colonial buildings,museums and the part of history Brazil carries.

To go to Petropolis,you can take the bus going from the bustation called Novo Rio.The buscompany is called Unica,the same goes to Teresopolis.

From Petropolis you can reach the park by taking bus 616 to Escola Rural do Bonfim.Which stops about 600m from the entrance of the park,

In Teresopolis the entrance is on Avenida Rotariana which can be reached by taxi.

But many say that the best experience is done from Petropolis.I never got to see the park as it was raining,And unfortunately rain is very common in this area.

Happy trip!!ZeZe

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Teresopolis?

We took a bus from Rio to Teresopolis, not via Petropolis, but I don't recall the #. Once you get to Teresopolis, not sure it's easy to get to all trailheads. And I agree you may not want to tackle more than a day hike on your own (it's not like hiking in Yosemite). While in Rio you might go to the office of the Centro Excursionista Brasileiro http://www.ceb.org.br/site/ hiking and climbing group. See if you can find soeone who speaks English. They could give good advice or they may even have an outing there while you're in town (if not to Teresopolis, someplace else; there are lots and lots of options in the area). When I went, all outings were basically free and there was carpooling.

Edited: 20 July 2012, 12:22
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
1,207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Teresopolis?

Nick,

Q. What bus do I take from Rio to get to Teresopolis and from there how do we arrive in Serra dos Orgaos?

A. Look for Viação Teresópolis at the bus station (Rodoviária Novo Rio). There are buses every hour or so.

In your way from Rio to Teresópolis, you have to ask the driver to drop you in front of the Serra dos Órgãos park (the bus passes by the gate). On your way back you can get the bus in front of the park too -- you may ask the people in the park to help you with that.

[but do not expect people speaking and/or understanding english]

http://www.viacaoteresopolis.com.br/

Q. How much is the bus ride roundtrip?

A. Around R$ 25 each way

You'll spend more than that in the park: R$ 22 (entrance fee) + R$ 33 (if you chose Pedra do Sino trail; there's no fee for smaller trails)

Q. Is it necessary to book a tour or could we hike on designated trails by ourselves?

A. It depends on the trail. There are small and easy trails, they are usually well marked.

If you're in good shape you can try the Pedra do Sino -- the top of Serra dos Órgãos. The trail is easy, it's hard to get lost there in a clear day, but it's very long: about 11-12 km each way (and you have to add a few more km from the park gate until the starting point). It'd be better to be in a group but not mandatory.

More info here:

icmbio.gov.br/parnaserradosorgaos/guia-do-vi…

[unfortunately the sites are in portuguese only]

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Teresopolis?

One of the most amazing hikings I´ve ever done was the one to the top of Pedra do Sino (Bell´s Rock) at Serra dos Orgaos National Park.

Even better is to start the hiking by early afternoon, overnight up there and experience an awesome sunrise the day after.

5. Re: Teresopolis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2017, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Teresopolis
Recent Conversations