We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Transition-Augusto Severo TO Sao Goncalo do Amarante

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
370 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Transition-Augusto Severo TO Sao Goncalo do Amarante

I thought it would be helpful to open up a thread on the transition from the existing Augusto Severo Int'l Airport to the new Greater Natal Int'l/Sao Goncalo do Amarante. There is very little information about the construction progress on the airport and connecting roads in the English-speaking media, thus it would be great if some locals would post updates to the thread from Brazil's news outlets providing information on the transition from old airport to new..

The new airport is slated to open in April 2014. The connecting roads may not be finished until May 2014. Obviously, the World Cup will bring tens of thousands of visitors to Natal in June 2014.

Any information is helpful, as the transition will certainly impact flight schedules, airport transfers, and other parts of visitors' itineraries. I doubt online travel guides will be able to update information for visitors in such a short amount of time. Thanks!

Edited: 11 March 2014, 12:59
London, United...
Level Contributor
626 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Transition-Augusto Severo TO Sao Goncalo do Amarante

my (international) flight on TAP just got shifted to 4 hours earlier.... Not sure if it's to do with airport transition, as on checkmytrip.com it still says "Augusto Severo"

Tribuna do Norte is the local paper in Natal.... latest articles still mention April 15th as being the first flight to the new airport. Guess we'll have to wait and see?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Transition-Augusto Severo TO Sao Goncalo do Amarante

Hi,

just saw two updates regarding the new airport:

- It will now open on May 10th (April 15th was the previous date)

- It seems like the new airport will be part of the no-fly times during the 1st-phase matches. Which does not make sense to me since it is more than 7km away (if this correct, I am very concern since I am schedule to fly out on the 24th during the Italy-Uruguay with an international connection in GRU).

tribunadonorte.com.br/noticia/…277532

Natal, RN
Level Contributor
75 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Transition-Augusto Severo TO Sao Goncalo do Amarante

The last word was not yet spoken out. I saw the civil aviation minister on an interview last night. May 10th might be the earliest date for the new airports inauguration, but its still possible a later date. So Augusto Severo is still in the race. He said during WC both airports will not operate comercial flights, just one only.

By the way, both NAT airports are not affected by the 7 km radius.

Natal, RN
Level Contributor
75 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Transition-Augusto Severo TO Sao Goncalo do Amarante

According to news from today (Tribuna online) the new airport will suffer restrictions on June 24th from 12 until 4 pm, thats a contrary information as what they said yesterday.

Its hard to plan anything with all the changes and rumours and little facts.

London, United...
Level Contributor
626 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Transition-Augusto Severo TO Sao Goncalo do Amarante

thanks for keeping us in the loop...

certainly sounding confusing. I'd still rather fly in to Augusto Severo

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
370 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Transition-Augusto Severo TO Sao Goncalo do Amarante

Theoretically, the new airport should be able to handle more flights than the old. I hope the published schedules don't take that fact into account, lest there not be enough capacity at Augusto Severo if that is the airport the government says must be operated during the World Cup. The last thing all of us want is a bunch of cancelled flights into/out of Natal.

Is the hold-up the actual construction and finishing of the airport, or the roads connecting the new airport to the highways into Natal?

Natal, RN
Level Contributor
75 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Transition-Augusto Severo TO Sao Goncalo do Amarante

Neither access roads nor Airport yet ready, but there is another reason for the delay: The aviation minister asked the airlines how much time they would need to install all their equipment. and being ready for operations. He gave them 10 days to answer. Lets wait and hope that we still can use the existing airport. for long time. The new airport is in a very very unpleasant location .

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Transition-Augusto Severo TO Sao Goncalo do Amarante

The new airport is almost ready. Here are some pictures of it: http://tinyurl.com/oorncsz

I personally think it'll be ready for the World Cup.

Natal, RN
Level Contributor
75 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Transition-Augusto Severo TO Sao Goncalo do Amarante

Airlines want more time and hope the new airport will start operations after WC only,

novojornal.jor.br/_conteudo/2014/03/economia…

This would be great for everybody as Augusto Severo Airport is very near to Natal, cheap and fast and safe transfer unlike the new airport

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Transition-Augusto Severo TO Sao Goncalo do Amarante

Thank you for the update @ocarinhoso1.

And I really hope they do, I totally agree with this statement "O temor é que ocorram problemas nos serviços de embarque, logística e transporte de bagagens"

Switching airport operations is a huge endeavor and there are many many risks involved, not only for the airlines, but car rental companies, ground transportation logistics, etc.