We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting To Ponta Negra From Airport

Which Natal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
450 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Getting To Ponta Negra From Airport

Any suggestions on best ways to get to Ponta Negra from the airport upon arrival? Taxi? Special kind? Would definitely prefer a taxi to bus or anything with luggage but don't know if there is a best way to catch a good one, etc. Thanks!

Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting To Ponta Negra From Airport

Hi, I have the same journey to make, its 15-20 minutes on the map. So I think Taxi is your safest and quickest option. I read somewhere, make sure you take the airport taxi's - sure it maybe a little more expensive, but will be safe.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
370 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting To Ponta Negra From Airport

You guys are looking at the wrong airport. The new airport in Sao Goncalo de Amarante opened on Saturday for domestic flights. International/Charter/Private flights will fly into the old Augusto Severo airport. So @Ibrahi, I assume you're coming from the US, connecting in Rio or SP, and flying a domestic segment into the new airport.

Be sure to check this thread for all the relevant info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303518-i3783-k727…

The road leading to the new airport is not entirely completed, but is somewhat passable. People are reporting about a 45-60 minute drive to Ponta Negra. Taxi fixed rate is R$80 (I think I read this somewhere) from the new airport to Ponta Negra. A bus would be much cheaper obviously, but you are going to be disoriented when you land and might not want to deal with changing buses at the bus station.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
450 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting To Ponta Negra From Airport

Thanks! It's domestic from Rio. I hope the taxi line isn't hours long like the post you shared says!!! :)

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting To Ponta Negra From Airport

I fly a week tomorrow.... Just don't know where I gonna land, if I'll be able to check in my hotel at 4 am and howto get to ground from hotel. I have tickets, passport and spending money! so still looking forward to this adventure! Roll on Brasil!

Cherry Hill, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting To Ponta Negra From Airport

Stephen, is there anyway to check what the average price of a taxi from the new airport to ponta negra would be? I've been in touch with someone giving me quote of average taxi cost being 180 reais.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
121 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting To Ponta Negra From Airport

I read in an article that there is a fixed price for a taxi from the new airport to Ponta Negra. It said R$80. It was set by the taxi driver's union. To get this fare, do a prepaid inside the airport. You pay, get the receipt and use the specific airport taxis. It is possible to get a different taxi and it be metered, but that is said to cost more.....or if you speak Portuguese, you could wait at arrivals and try to get one with a taxi who is dropping someone off. They may negotiate a better price if you speak portuguese and can get a firm deal. This would help them avoid getting back in line and/or if they are not an official airport taxi.....allow them a fare for the ride back.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
121 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting To Ponta Negra From Airport

I speak Portuguese and I am willing to share a taxi to Ponta Negra (Paradise Flat) area with someone who is arriving around 13:30 on AZUL from VCP. Anyone on my flight or arriving at a similar time?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
121 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting To Ponta Negra From Airport

I forgot to put the date - 14th of June....at 13:30.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
370 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting To Ponta Negra From Airport

@Footballevida - That R$180 pricing sounds more like the cost of a private transfer (i.e. a guy with your name on a sign meets you at baggage claim and takes you to his car). The R$80 sounds right, I think that was printed in Tribuna do Norte several times. The issue the past couple of days, as reported in the press, is a shortage of taxis at the new airport. With the new airport being further away from the city, and the quality of the road being poor, it will take longer for airport taxis to finish a round of pick ups/drop offs, so the fleet seems stretched. Hopefully this is a temporary problem, they* have about 5-6 days to solve it before fans start arriving for the first match.

* And by "they," I don't mean the government, which is clearly incompetent, but cab companies who realize they are missing out on a windfall of revenue

Edited: 04 June 2014, 13:39
Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting To Ponta Negra From Airport

Yesterday I took a pre-paid taxi from new airport to Ponta Negra for R$96, it took about 35 mins.