We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Transit At Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport

Which Guarulhos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai
1 post
Save Topic
In Transit At Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport

Dear All,

Can any one please advise what is the procedure to transfer from Terminal 2 to terminal 1 at GRU Sao Paulo Airport. I am flying from Dubai on Emirates airlines arriving in Sao paulo at terminal 2 and then I have to leave from TAM Airlines flight from terminal 1 to Buenos AIres.

Will I have to walk out to collect my luggage and then recheck-in at the TAM desk? How do I do that?

Edited: 17 January 2011, 18:52
Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
66 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Transit At Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport

Hi

yes, you will have to take your luggage across to the other terminal, but the airport isnt that big so u can cross it by foot.

Happy travels!

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: In Transit At Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport

I don't see UAE as one of the countries exempt from getting a Brazilian visa, so if that is your passport, do check if you need a visa even if only transitting through the airport.

Maragogi, AL
Destination Expert
for Maragogi, Maceio, Porto de Galinhas, Recife, Japaratinga, Tamandare, Costa dos Corais
Level Contributor
5,023 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Transit At Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport

Arrivals are on one floor and departures on the floor above in Guarulhos. All terminals are connected. You will get a luggage cart at bag claim that you can use to take an elevator and head to TAM international departures. It is a bit of a zoo, have patience and ask UNIFORMED airline personnel for orientation as soon as you get off your incoming flight and thereafter.

Quintay...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Transit At Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport

I am traveling to South Africa from Santiago, Chile via Sao Paulo with a US passport arriving on a LAN flight and departing Sao Paulo on South African Airways. Will I need a visa even though I will be In transit?

Quintay...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Transit At Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport

I am traveling to South Africa from Santiago, Chile via Sao Paulo with a US passport. I will be arriving on a LAN flight and departing Sao Paulo on South African Airways. Will I need a visa even though I will be In transit?

Edited: 30 January 2012, 20:48
Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,937 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Transit At Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport

I am really not sure but I´ve found this:

TRANSITTING BRAZIL

To enter Brazil, even if only for a few hours, you will need a visa. However, if you are only in transit through a Brazilian airport on your way to another country and do not plan to leave the transit area of the airport, you do not need a visa. The maximum time in tranist you may stay in Brazil is 7 hours.

It is highly recommended that you obtain a tourist visa, considering that it is always possible that an international flight may be delayed or even cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

Warsaw
Level Contributor
86 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In Transit At Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport

I was in transit at GRU last Saturday. I arrived from Rio and was going to Zurich, as a Polish citizen I didn't need a visa.

I must say I'm disappointed with this airport, especially international departures terminal. We followed the signs for transit passangers and were directed to domestic departures, which was wrong. Finally, we managed to find our way to the correct terminal. Luckily, we had 4 h for transit as otherwise we could have been in trouble :)

I wanted to buy some newspapers for 10 h flight, but there was no library. Also, food points were rather poor and very expensive.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
187 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Transit At Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport

brasilka - GRU is a mess and totally underserves travellers (so is access to the airport). Everybody in São Paulo knows and is sick of that. Problem is that the much needed expansion and improved accss involves a lot of money so plenty of people have been working behind the scenes for years to get a slice of the pie. Plus the government is in the middle as the main airport management company...

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,937 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In Transit At Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport

...and this is the country that will host the World Cup...

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In Transit At Sao Paulo Guarulhos Airport

If you are in transit on international flights, you don't need to leave the ineternational area. But if you do not have the boarding pass to the seccond flight, that means you need to collect your luggage, leave the arrival area, go upstairs and check-in. Note that TAM check-in is at terminal 1.