We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise from santos

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
cruise from santos

We are catching a cruise ship from Santos in April 2012. Can anyone help with where is the port and what Motels are close to the port. I have searched the net and it is very hard to find information. Please if any one has some up to date hints on subjects from airport to santos, motels in santos and the port where the cruise ships leave from.

Maragogi, AL
Destination Expert
for Maragogi, Maceio, Porto de Galinhas, Recife, Japaratinga, Tamandare, Costa dos Corais
Level Contributor
6,189 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruise from santos

Santos is the largest port in South America. It is about two hours from the São Paulo airports by bus. The São Paulo International Airport in Guarulhos has regular luxury bus service to downtown Santos that makes one stop at the São Paulo in town airport - Congonhas. From there it is an easy taxi ride to the tour boat docks or an hotel. Anyway, it is not a hard city to get around town. There are three star hotels in Santos that are not far from the docks. Have you tried to seach this forum for reviews? I travel to Santos but always stay with friends so can't be a great deal of help on this hotel question.

Please note, motel is not what you think it is in Brazil. Talk about Hotels and bed and breakfasts or inns.

Mentioned in this post
Guarulhos
Guarulhos
State of Sao Paulo
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
729 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cruise from santos

Try also Booking.com and Hotels.com, they might help you. The only thing is that the good hotels are not so close to the docks.

Levy L.

Santos, SP
Level Contributor
357 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cruise from santos

The main hotels are:

Parque Balneário Hotel

Mendes Panorama Hotel

Mercury Hotel (Accor)

Both of them are 15 minutes far from the cruises terminal by taxi.

The taxi can cost from R$ 20,00 to R$ 30,00.

Stay some days in Santos. The beach is beautiful with a wonderful garden ( 7 km of garden, the larget of the world). Santos ia a medium size city with a lot of atractions. See: http://www.melhordesantos.com/

Maragogi, AL
Destination Expert
for Maragogi, Maceio, Porto de Galinhas, Recife, Japaratinga, Tamandare, Costa dos Corais
Level Contributor
6,189 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cruise from santos

Thanks for recommending the site Thirdstar. I always like to keep up with Santos since we have many dear friends there. Besides tourist sites it has good restaurants and other attractions that really do make it worth a couple of days more. Just watching the ships going in and out of the port is fascinating.

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cruise from santos

Thank you everyone for your comments you have given me much ideas. I wish we were staying longer it sounds and looks fascinating. Are the docks in a particular suburb? is it far from the beach to the docks and would it be better to stay at the beach near the gardens you mentioned. Thanks for the site thirdstar I will check that out. I tried to get hotels through wotif.com but they only say Sao Paulo which is why I have asked about suburbs. Any more hints you may think of please post as I am all ears and eyes.

Mentioned in this post
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
State of Sao Paulo
Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cruise from santos

I have been onto accommodation sites like wotif.com looking for hotels but they only come up with Sao Paulo hotels. What nieghborhood should I be looking for for hotels in Santos??

Mentioned in this post
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
State of Sao Paulo
Maragogi, AL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,189 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cruise from santos

I would stick with the hotels listed above by thirdstar:

Parque Balneário Hotel

Mendes Panorama Hotel

Mercury Hotel (Accor)

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cruise from santos

Is there a ferry or a bridge connecting Guaruja to Santos? Is Guaruja where the big aquarium is?

Mentioned in this post
Guaruja
Guaruja
State of Sao Paulo
Maragogi, AL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,189 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cruise from santos

See their site: www.acquamundo.com.br/release-english.asp

Yes, you can go on a very short ferry ride to Guaruja that takes you across the entrance to the harbor.

Mentioned in this post
Guaruja
Guaruja
State of Sao Paulo
Santos, Brazil
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cruise from santos

About hotels in Santos, stay away from downtown (Centro) hotels. They are called "MOTEL" . As BrazilBum (Hi BrazilBum, glad to meet you here!) mentioned, in Brazil motel means a "lovehotel" where people stay for just a few hours.

Depending on your budget, consider these less expensive options:

http://www.atlantico-hotel.com.br/ (by the beach)

http://www.carinaflat.com.br/ (+- 1mile from the beach)

http://www.atlanticoinn.com.br/ (in Gonzaga neighborhood, which means close to bars, movie theaters, shopping.)Very alive.

http://www.caicarahotel.com.br/ (in the main street, but 2 miles from the beach)

Don't worry about distance from the dock. You will not want to walk anyway, and the taxi fare will vary just a couple of dollars.

Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America