We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

must see in Sao Paulo in one day and a half

Belgrade
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
must see in Sao Paulo in one day and a half

My husband and I will arrive in Sao Paulo on Monday afternoon and we have our flight on Tuesday evening. What are the must things to visit, to walk, to eat...?

Thanks a lot!!!

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: must see in Sao Paulo in one day and a half

It all depends on what you like. Museums? Restaurants? Night-life?

Belgrade
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: must see in Sao Paulo in one day and a half

we like seeing real life,nice things in town...walking, eating something good and local... Nightlife is not so interesting to us.

São Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
807 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: must see in Sao Paulo in one day and a half

On arrival, get the Airport Bus to Tietê Bus Station. There is a good hotel the other side of Cruzeiro do Sul Avenue which could be a good base for your operations as you are right beside the Underground.

My suggestion:

MONDAY - After a rest, take the Underground to Paulista Avenue (Blue Line to Ana Rosa, connect with Green Line, direction Vila Madalena). There is the São Paulo Art Museum (if you like culture) or just stroll along this avenue to feel the heart of the city. Trianon Park offers good space for relaxation.

On Brigadeiro Avenue take 5154 bus to Ibirapuera Park (relaxation and museums again), then from there 5300 bus to Ibirapuera Shopping Centre or Moema, a good neighbourhood for meals and night life (but could be limited on a Monday). From there, 675L bus to Santa Cruz and Underground (Blue Line, direction Tucuruvi) to the hotel.

TUESDAY: City Centre possibly, or the Football Museum at Pacaembu, then have lunch at the Feijoada da Lana (Underground to Vila Madalena, then 138 bus - Munhoz Júnior, get off by Wizard street and walk two blocks). You should be away at 2 pm, then go to hotel, pick up your bags, cross to bus station and take airport bus to GRU. (This should get you to airport at 5 pm, before rush-hour traffic)

[Note: Please excuse the concentration on museums, parks and food but this is what the city is most famous for. The nearest beaches are 1 hour away at Santos. If you absolutely must see a beach, then leave hotel on Tuesday VERY early, take Underground to Jabaquara then bus to Santos. Have lunch on the beach (the shrimps are very good at Olympia in Channel 1) and then 153 bus to Santos Bus Station and bus direct to GRU.]

Edited: 15 March 2013, 21:58
Mount Shasta...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: must see in Sao Paulo in one day and a half

Looking for the jewelry mart that a friend went to while in Sao Paolo - she doesn't remember name - but great prices and lots to look at - any ideas???

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: must see in Sao Paulo in one day and a half

this is a hard question, 1.5 days is short, and u have to go back,

but i would walk on avenida paulista and eat at the churrascarias in sao paulo, there is one of avenida paulista, called dinho's on Rua Jeronimo da Veiga, 153, that was very nice, go hungry so u can eat, see my post

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g303631-d2…

ck out a "feira" if u can, is like a street fair on specified days, so u can try out all the tropical fruits u don't get in the US such as goiaba, mamao, pinha

if u can go and see the inside of sala sao paulo, maybe get to see a music concert.

it is really not much time for anything.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: must see in Sao Paulo in one day and a half

if you like walking around and seeing nice parts of town, try staying in the Jardins/Avenida Paulista area.

hotels are more expensive, but you can find some at more affordable prices, like Ibis Budget, or regular Ibis.

it is also close to subway lines so you can move around.

IMHO, staying close to the bus station is not so great. while you are next to the subway, the area is VERY ugly and nothing interesting for tourists in the vicinity.

if u can afford it, you can still stay close to the subway but in MUCH better parts of town, where you can actually wander around the hotel.

The NYTimes had an article a couple of years ago with suggestions for 36 hours in SP:

…nytimes.com/2011/…

Some pics here:

nytimes.com/slideshow/2007/10/14/travel/2007…

Foreign friends of mine really liked the huge Mercado Municipal with all the fruit stands etc.

Australia
Level Contributor
252 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: must see in Sao Paulo in one day and a half

I am planning a trip in November and lucky to have local friend who we will see while in SP. But we only have a few nights and thought we would stay around Jardins/Paulista. Looking at Quality Jardins and L'Hotel Porto Bay. I'm surprised that the latter is doing very good deals at the moment for November (just after the GP) via online booking sites.

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but is there something I should know? Recent reviews mention construction close by but say it's no too bad.

Or am I just being suspicious? I don't know SP at all.

Thanks.

Australia
Level Contributor
252 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: must see in Sao Paulo in one day and a half

Re my message above, my mistake - we will be in SP two weeks BEFORE the GP, in early November, if that makes any difference.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: must see in Sao Paulo in one day and a half

There is more to São Paulo than meet the eyes. There is a myriad of places to visit in this vobrating city. Unfortunately, the city guides do not list them as they should. Historical sites and buildings are worth visiting ( tour of historic downtown can be taken on a horse carriage). There are Mata Atlantica parks, Pico do Jaraguá (north of the city), zoo, Little Italy, Japanese district. several entertainment districts and whatnot. There is less natural beauty, I agree, But a day and a half in São Paulo, only if your day has 100 hours.

10. Re: must see in Sao Paulo in one day and a half

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2014, 06:17