We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Level Contributor
127 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic

I have a 24 hr layover in san paulo staying at the renaissance and have been asked to pick up some haviana flip flops!!!

Are these easily available? A particular shop? Very expensive?

Thanks for any help !

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
601 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: havianas?

There is a Havaianas flagship store near your hotel in R. Oscar Freire. There you can find all different styles even the ones that you can put together yourself with different price range.

Ask the concierge of your hotel for the correct address and directions

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: havianas?

There are many brands of flip-flops in Brazil, some as good or better than Havaianas, some as good, some not as good. None all that special, IMHO. You can do better price-wise. BUT Havaianas has a well-known name; even saw them for sale in Brussels. I'm sure the airport has shops that sell Havaianas, too, though you may pay more. I bought mine at a Pao de Açucar supermarket in Fortaleza. Usually wear them just around the house or in sand, since the Tevas I bought at REI in the U.S. have more support (but cost more). As noted above, there is more than one style of Havaianas. Ask your friend which they want.

Here's info on the Espaço Havaianas mentioned above http://br.havaianas.com/pt-BR/stores/concept/

Edited: 17 August 2013, 15:23
São Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
861 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: havianas?

Havaianas are very popular here, you can buy them almost anywhere. They come in all shapes and colours, from vibrant pink to dull grey, and some with patterns as well. I remember seeing some in Brazilian national colours.

Don't go to the Oscar Freire shop - this is an upmarket street and they will probably charge you many times more than the regular price, just because of the location. Try Pinheiros or downtown. (Oscar Freire is where you can get a handbag for US$ 20,000 and things like that)

Havaianas is pronounced /a-vye-ANNAZ/ with the "h" silent.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
5,769 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: havianas?

At the Havaianas store on Oscar Freire prices are no different from elsewhere. You can buy the basic model for the same price as elsewhere (unless some place is having a special sale; you can always double check, but for an item that starts at US$6, it may not be worth your time during a short stay). Most basic models are in the US$10-18 range.

What is different and makes it certainly worth going there is that in one single space you can see basically all Havaianas models, from the simple, basic models to those with Swarovski crystals or limited editions produced in conjunction with designers.

And, of course, you pay nothing to get into the store - just like any other store.... And it is a nice place to visit... and the only one of its kind

Besides, if you are at all interested in modern architecture, the store was designed by Isay Weinfeld, a famous contemporary Brazilian architect. Incidentally, this store won a prize in its category in the World Architecture Festival when it opened.

And if you are already on Oscar Freire, go down a couple of blocks on same street to see a similar concept (cheap plastic shoes turned into fashion items) not yet well known outside Brazil. Go to the Galeria Melissa (there one in SP and one in NYC, that is it):

Their façade is always changing with artsy ideas, this is the current one:

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: havianas?

Rokatto is right Havaianas flagship store DOESN'T charge more.

6. Re: havianas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 07:21
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question