We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brazillian visa

Which Sao Paulo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Topic
Brazillian visa

How long does it take to obtain a tourist visa for a US citizen? I see that the visa is only valid for 90 days. We are going in mid-March, so I guess I should wait closer to the time to apply for one?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,329 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brazillian visa

Brazil requires U.S. citizens to carry a valid U.S. passport and visa when traveling to Brazil for any purpose. You must obtain your Brazilian visa in advance from the Brazilian Embassy or Consulate nearest to your place of residence in the United States. There are no "airport visas" and immigration authorities will refuse entry into Brazil to anyone not possessing a valid visa. The U.S. government cannot assist you if you arrive in Brazil without proper documentation.

Visa Info:

http://www.pvsinternational.org/BRAZIL.html

Health Info:

wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/brazil.htm

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,329 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brazillian visa

Getting a Brazilian visa can take anywhere from five days to three weeks.

The tourist visa for Americans is valid for multiple entries for ten years from the date it was first used (unless otherwise noted on the visa). The only restriction is that you cannot stay in Brazil for more than 90 days each time you go (up to 180 days per year if an extension of stay after the 90 days are over is granted by the Federal Police in Brazil).

Edited: 18 November 2013, 17:52
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brazillian visa

The visa is usually valid for 10 years; 90 days is the limit of each stay here. So, for instance, if you get a 10-year visa, you'll be able to come every year and stay up to 90 days in each trip. Processing time varies from consulate to consulate, but it shouldn't take more than a few business days. Have in mind, however, that 2014 is the World Cup year, which means many visitors will be coming here and, thus, the consulates will have more work to do. In view of that, I would request my visa earlier.

USA
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Brazillian visa

Thanks for all your responses, they have helped me. We leave in March, so I did not want to send away for the visas right now as they will expire by the time we leave. Given the World Cup next year, I realize there will be a rush for visas, but I thought perhaps applying in January might be ok? There are consulates in Washington DC and NYC, I might even try to go there for the day and hopefully get it in a day?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,329 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brazillian visa

January is just about right. However, it's doubtful you'll get your visa the same day you apply for it at one of the consulates. Very likely you'll have to make a return trip.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Brazillian visa

loretta,

you can only apply at the consulate which has jurisdiction over your residence.

see the following link which lists all consulates and their respective jurisdiction.

then go to the webpage for that consulate and follow their requirements exactly so that you do not waste time:

…itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/brazilian_consulates…

on a separate thread here in TA, someone posted a reply from a Brazilian consulate in the USA saying that they do not process visas more than 4 months in advance (but I could not find that post, unfortunately)

New York
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brazillian visa

In addition to the above, you could not get the visa the same day you applied, even if you went there in person. You'd have to come back in about 10 days.

8. Re: Brazillian visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 06:20