We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay? The usual boring question

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
453 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay? The usual boring question

Hello,

I will be in SP for 2 nights (Fri-Sun). Quite confuse on which district / hotel to stay.

I understand Oscar Freire is the way to go.. However I heard shops are close at 2pm on Sat, is that correct? How far walks from Av Paulista to Oscar Freire? Is it safe? I see not many hotels in Oscar Freire itself beside Regent Park and Emiliano.

Another consideration is to stay nearby Iguatemi @ Faria Lima, is there any recommended hotel there, withing 5 mins walking distance to Iguatemi?

Is there any shopping mall open late in Av Paulista?

Friends of mine who lives in SP strongly recommend staying at Morumbi or Ibirapuera. Is there any activity in the evening/night at Morumbi or Av, Ibirapuera (beside the park)? If I see the map, it looks like only business district with no shopping activity

Thank you!!

18 replies to this topic
Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

Morumbi is a no-no; while it is a nice residential area, you need a car to go anywhere.

Av Ibirapuera does have some restaurants etc and the Ibirapuera mall is there.

there are many hotels between Oscar Freire and Av Paulista, just be aware it is an uphill climb. but that would be the best location for a tourist. you can walk to restaurants, bars, shops, stroll up and down Oscar Freire (always full of people daytime on weekends).

If you really need to go to a larger mall, it is an easy cab ride to Iguatemi from that area. since you will be here on weekend, traffic will not be horrible like weekdays. there is the Pateo Paulista mall at the end of Av paulista (cab, bus or subway), but it is nowhere as fancy as Iguatemi. If you really want the fancy stuff, go to the new JK Iguatemi mall (confusing, but there is Iguatemi and JK Iguatemi).

but if you want to be close to Iguatemi mall, there is the Radisson and the more affordable Tryp Iguatemi:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303631-d306663…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303631-d306675…

google search the websites for each mall to see their working hours; google translate will help you.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
453 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

Hi Rokatoo. Thank you for replying my message on this SP as well :)

Actually I am not really into shopping per-se. My concern is only how do I "kill" my time on Sat. My friend told me shops in Oscar Freire are close at 2pm on Sat unlike in the shopping mall (at 10pm). My concern, what I'm gonna do in Oscar Freire area once the shops are close.. Can you enlighten me a bit here?

For the hotel option, how far walk (and is it safe) from Mercure SP Jardins (Alameda Itu) to the main area of Oscar Freire?

Will that be a "better walk" from Mercure Jardins or from Quality Suites Emperial Hall (Rua da Consolocao) to the main area?

What should I expect to see/do in Av Paulista on Sat evening, if I choose hotel right on Av Paulista?

May I know beside the mall, what kind of activity within walking distance from Park Inn Ibirapuera on Sat?

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

Verdims, If you like to 'kill' time why dont you take a 4 hour tour. At least you will be able to see some of the city. Shops at Av Paulista will stay open later.

Iguatemi mall is a very upscale mall (Not for the average Paulista).

Mercure SP Jardings is a very good hotel and reasonable priced and you can walk in jardins. Its safe. They can also hook you up with a private tourguide.

There are some restaurants in the neighberhood (some are expensive). If you really like to go out take a taxi to Vila Magdalena. You will find a lot of bars and small restaurants here and many people on the street. Felt very safe there.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
453 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

Thank you curtvaller. I will do book at Mercure Jardins. Can you recommend any reasonably price restaurant nearby the Mercure? Actually how far walk is from the Mercure to the main area of Oscar Freire?

I checked the Vila Madalena, it looks like some sort of Notting Hills in London. It sounds great! Will try to go there

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

Curt's suggestions are very good.

i would add that if Iguatemi is considered upscale, JK Iguatemi takes it to another whole level...

Mercure Jardins is on corner of Augusta and Itu (look up on google maps). if you walk down 4 blocks on Augusta, you will be at Oscar Freire. just turn right on Augusta and keep strolling on Oscar Freire until its end. btw, use street view function in google maps to get familair with area. all of SP is covered by street view.

your friends are right that malls are open until 10pm, but they are wrong about Oscar Freire.

Some examples... do you know the Brazilian brand Havaianas? well, its concept store is on Oscar Freire and it is open Sat till 8pm and Sundays noon to 6pm:

http://br.havaianas.com/pt-BR/stores/concept/

the Galeria Melissa, whose façade is always some work of modern art, so you can see it even when closed, stays open Sat until 5pm; it is also on Oscar Freire:

www.melissa.com.br/galeria/galeria-melissa-sp

there are many restaurants in that whole area, reception desk will be able to better point you somewhere once you tell them what you are looking for (and mention price range...).

there are also cafés, ice cream parlors, etc On oscar Freire and nearby streets... this is where people go for window shopping and stroll on a Sat or Sunday afternoon.... but, of course, some people prefer shopping malls, but a mall in SP is basically the same as one in USA, Singapore or Moscow.

as for safety. take usual precautions anywhere in Brazil: keep passport and valuables in your room safe, use a copy of passport for your walking around; only take as much cash (or credit cards) as you plan to use; dont flash jewelry, Rolex watches etc... these are just precautions... you will see a lot of locals doing the opposite, but they are locals and you are a first time foreign tourist...

if interested in museums, you can walk up to Avenida Paulista and a few blocks to the right you will find MASP (that is how everyone refers to it); you could even eat in the restaurant at MASP too.:

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

If you like to "kill" the time in São Paulo,I have listen about "on foot" tour in the old historical part of the city downtown in English. Iam not from São Paulo, but next time I go there I would like to participate. You should ask about it for people from São Paulo City, I read about that in the city newspaper, if you want to check:

…uol.com.br/internacional/en/saopaulo/2013/0…

SP Free Walking Tour. Meeting point: Republic Square, next to the tourist information center at the Republic subway station.

Old Downtown: Wednesdays and Saturdays: 11.30a.m. English tour. Duration: 4 hours. No need to schedule - just arrive 15 minute before. Free (tips are welcome).

P.S.: Read about safety precations in Rakatoo post.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
453 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

Thank you all. Well explained! Bring me another level of confident to enjoy SP.

Last question, I have AZUL flight at 10am on Sunday to SSA. If I leave hotel at 730am, will that be enough time?

Should I use taxi from hotel (by meter ??) or book thru Guarucoop?

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

on a Sunday morning, it should be enough time to catch a domestic flight. however, if you see that there is heavy rain, better leave earlier. you can also save some time and try advance web check in so that you will need only to drop off bags at the airline counter.

Guarucoop is only supposed to take passengers from GRU (it is a different city there) to SP.

As you will be in SP, you need to take a SP taxi.

Usually meter is OK; as a foreign tourist, you may ask at hotel if there is a trusted taxi driver from a nearby taxi stand and pre-arrange the ride and fare. it should NOT cost more than what you pay from GRU into town (GRU cabs are more expensive - it is a monopoly there).

on Sundays, city cabs use the "2" rate (you will see a 2 on the meter), which is about 30% more expensive than the weekday/daytime "1" rate. they can also charge R$2.50 for luggage.

while one-way trips to outside SP city limits have a 50% surcharge, there is one exception for trips to GRU airport.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
453 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

Hi Rokatoo

I sent an email to Guarucoop which they have responded immediately (impressive!), they can arrange pick up from Mercure Jardins to GRU airport for R$124.16. Is this how much it should cost approximately?

I am taking Emirates Airline Chauffeur service from GRU to the hotel, so I wouldn't know the rates.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 14:13
Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay? The usual boring question

yes, they are charging you roughly the same rate as from GRU to that area.

a regular SP city cab would probably be about R$100 by the meter on a Sunday (tho locals can sometimes negotiate a better price with a driver, but you are not a local).

i would say that paying the equivalent of an extra US$10 is probably worth the convenience/peace of mind of booking with Guarucoop, which is a reputable cab service with cars that are usually larger than many city cabs.

Reply to: Where to stay? The usual boring question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted