We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Married name on passport

Burlington...
1 post
Save Topic
Married name on passport

This is the first time in over 10 years my wife will be going back to her home country. She has all her US documents ie drivers liscense, social security card, military id for retired military dependents in her married name. The tickets we are buying will be from the local air force base also in her married name. Her passport still is in her maiden name. The comsulate here in Boston for Brazil tells us the only way she can change her name on her Brazilian passport is to first register the marriage in Brazil. Does anyone know if I will have a hard time clearing customs in Brazil if we don't change her name on her passport. thanks so much

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Married name on passport

If you register your marriage, you'll have the right to apply for a permanent visa to Brazil (not automatic). If you haven't registered it yet, you'll need a tourist visa to be admitted in Brazil, which in your case can be obtained at the Consulate of Brazil in Boston. Having a tourist visa in your hands, I see no immigration issues. It should be fine. I don't see any problems regarding her entrance, as many women in Brazil don't change their names anymore (it's optional) when they marry - she'll just use her Brazilian passport with her maiden name and probably no question will be asked whastoever to her, as she's a national. If you go together to the line, you can say you're married and that's why you are in line together - so bring copies of your marriage certificate in any case - but I doubt the officer will ask for any document.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
243 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Married name on passport

Brazil immigration officials will just care about her status in Brazil, which is taken care of by her Brazilian passport. They're not going to look at any of her U.S. documents, or even the plane ticket. Just her passport and her landing card (on which she should use the same name as in her passport -- apart from avoiding issues, this is logical if you consider that in the eyes of the Brazilian government her name isn't changed until she registers the marriage there apparently).

And getting back into the U.S. she'll use her U.S. documents, which will be what U.S. immigration will most worry about. I travelled to Brazil recently with a British passport, because I didn't need a visa as a U.K. passport holder but would have had to get one as a U.S. citizen. But flying back to the U.S. (once I cleared Brazilian immigration on departure) I used my U.S. passport. It's no problem to use two different documents like that, since each country just cares about what applies to its own entry requirements.

The main issue will be that airlines usually insist that the name on the ticket match the name on international travel documents (in this case, her Brazilian passport, as I assume from your post that she does not have a U.S. passport). So what you really need to do is to check with the airline. I got married in 1998 and didn't bother to change the name on my British passport until I renewed it in 2002, because it's just so much of a pain to do from the U.S. but in the interim I travelled with a copy of my marriage certificate clipped inside my passport and this always satisfied everyone checking. But do check with them in advance as airlines have gotten more and more strict about ID since 9/11.

Just curious... isn't there a process for registering the marriage in Brazil without having to return there? Can't the Brazilian consulate in Boston just authenticate the U.S. marriage license so that it has legal effect in Brazil as well? …itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/authentication_of_do…

3. Re: Married name on passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 05:28