We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hours connection at GRU airport. What should I do?

Which Sao Paulo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montevideo, Uruguay
7 posts
Save Topic
8 hours connection at GRU airport. What should I do?

Hi everyone!

I have 8 hours layover at GRU airport on my way to Heathrow, from 4 pm untill 11 pm on next Sunday. What should I do? Is it worth trying to leave the airport and see anything? Where should I goz. Which is the best way to get to that place? Im open to all kind of suggestions.

Thank you very much!

Jp

K J
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
665 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hours connection at GRU airport. What should I do?

At that time you have no options. You'll have to leave at least 2 hours to clear federal police and traffic will be bad that you will not be able to get too far without having to return. Sorry but enjoy the airport. It's not too bad.

Montevideo, Uruguay
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hours connection at GRU airport. What should I do?

Ok, thanks!!

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hours connection at GRU airport. What should I do?

You may use use one of VIP rooms if you have a credit card that gives access. There are paid ones also.

There are expensive places to sleep: http://www.fastsleep.com.br/en/

On Sunday you could come to São Paulo to know the city cause traffic is not an issue. However most things will be closed and you would arrive at night, not much to see.

In your case I would go to Shopping Internacional de Guarulhos. Its 15 minutes trip from airport. Stores there close at 8pm. Restaurants close 9pm on sunday. There are also movie theathers/ bowling. I think that it will be no more than 20 USD to go to mall and return. If u want to see any movie, almost all are in english, they just have subtitles.

Website for the mall (only in portuguese) http://www.internacionalshopping.com.br/

4. Re: 8 hours connection at GRU airport. What should I do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 15:12
Edited: 10 April 2014, 15:12
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 hours connection at GRU airport. What should I do?

At GRU, we have used the United Airllines, American Airlines and Gol clubs, all inside security. I assume you are connecting from a domestic flight. Your bags should be forwarded on to your flight to LHR, but you still need to leave security and go to the check-in counter of the airline you are taking to LHR, get a boarding pass, then go through security and government passport control (hand in the form you filled out upon entering Brazil), and go to your flight. Besides the airline clubs there is a spa, with, I believe, massages and showers. If you are flying economy class, you would likely have to pay for a one day pass at any club. But you go get drinks and, in most cases, showers. Not sure how the cost compares with the spa. There is also a small hotel within the secure area, as I recall.

The airport is in the city of Guarulhos. Not much of interest there, as far as I know. Going into Sao Paulo itself would be a long and expensive (especially by taxi, and if during the week taxi back could be horrible) and risky, since you would have valuables, including passport, credit cards, etc., with you.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 15:18
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 hours connection at GRU airport. What should I do?

When I saw your post I mentioned it to some Sao Paulo friends and tgeir laughed good-naturedly and replied, "Have a cup of coffee!"

By the time you find a place in the airport, queue, choose a seat, wait for them to bring the coffee.....

But as has been said, it is not such a bad airport. I can't recall the cost, but I used the American Airlines VIP lounge for a similarly long wait very recently and I don't remember how much they charged me (as a guest, I don't fly with them) but it was a very relaxing option. Comfy seats, food, drinks, shower facilities, wifi, all included. You can go in and out and so take a wander round the airport at your leisure.

The 'low cost options' (they're not that low) for getting in and out of Sao Paulo can be stressful for a first time visitor who has to check time. A taxi in and out of town is very expensive for the time available. It's a big risk and worry if you are concerned about getting on your flight. You would have to be desperate and also reasonably lucky with transport.

7. Re: 8 hours connection at GRU airport. What should I do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 06:16