We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vila madalena

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
vila madalena

http://riotimesonline.com/

Here's a charming article about Sao Paulo's famous nightlife area that is also very pleasant during the day.

Arty, trendy and 'cool' Vila Madalena is a lovely place to hang out, forget time, visit small art galleries inbetween snacking or having a beer at the boutique restaurants spilling onto the pavement. Or sit and watch the world go by as you wait for inspiration for your next masterpiece. But be warned: at night and incredibly so at the weekends, traffic and the sheer volumes of young people make getting around quite slow. You need to book your restaurant in advance because, as you enjoy chatting quietly over a cool glass of choppe after the heat of the day, a vast army of chic bar-hoppers will be doing the same thing. Daytime is relaxed: and nighttime is intense!

It's one of the best places in Sao Paulo to enjoy the warmth and hospitality of the wonderful people who live here (and are rightly proud of their amazing city.)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vila madalena

riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/…

Sorry - here's the correct link (I hope!)

São Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
799 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vila madalena

Anyone going to Vila Madalena must try the bean stew (feijoada) at Feijoada da Lana at Rua Aspicuelta 421, billed as the best feijoada in SP.

This is one of the few places where you can have feijoada any day of the week.

Go on Saturday for a full buffet (R$ 60.00) including full feijoada, pork rinds, manioc, kale, oranges, Brazilian firewater (batida de limão) and WONDERFUL DESSERTS (the blancmange is out of this world), as much as you can eat.

Other days of the week it is a simpler affair, R$ 37 for feijoada only (desserts extra in this case), with less trimmings.

At Vila Madalena underground/bus station, take bus 138 (Munhoz Júnior), get off the stop after Wizard street and walk 1/2 block.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: vila madalena

Thanks TheBigStick! I've been looking at this area and want to go. Especially to see Beco do Batman. The only thing I've been trying to info on is the safety around there, getting to and from on the M + wondering around the area

Edited: 02 May 2014, 04:54
Melbourne...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: vila madalena

Thanks PaulDixon_12 i'll note that down. Now I just have to figure out how much time I will spend there

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vila madalena

geoEk,

This area is really safe at night, especially around bars and restaurants. Just be street smart and don't flash things. I recommend you go bar hoping there for a night or two, around Aspicuelta and Wisard streets.

It's a good place to go in the daytime as well, there are a lot of stores and art galleries.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: vila madalena

Thanks for the tips Julia N.

I'm really thinking of staying overnight here now.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: vila madalena

Is Metro the best way to get to Congonhas Airport from Vila Madalena?

I'm looking at green line to Paraiso (6 stops) and then blue line to Conceicao (7 stops).

São Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
799 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vila madalena

Bear in mind that when you get to Conceição, you will still need a bus to get to CGH. The 675A bus does the route but you need to cross a busy street by an overpass (not good if you have luggage).

The best route as I see it is to take the Underground one more station to Jabaquara, then bus 175T to CGH (no need to cross the overpass then).

Returning, the 675A option avoids the overpass.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: vila madalena

Sorry for thread derail, but if I have a domestic flight at 8:30AM in CGH what time should get going from Vila Madalena? Metro is the fastest way to avoid traffic I think

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,674 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: vila madalena

geo,

first you have to find out which subway stop is most convenient for you. it is not necessarily Vila Madalena on line 2; it may be Faria Lima on line 4. asking your lodging place is the best bet to get precise info.

Vila Madalena is a fairly hilly neighborhood; getting to stop on Line 2 will likely involve some uphill walking on winding streets.... Faria Lima on line 4 will be downhill and more of a grid pattern.... besides regular google maps, "walk" thru potential itinerary with street view function.

http://goo.gl/maps/clDJS

if VM stop is indeed best choice, SP subway webpage puts the trip to Jabaquara stop at 35 minutes... add walking time to stop, plus waiting time for bus and bus travel time to CGH:

…sp.gov.br/sua-viagem/trajeto/trajeto.aspx…

if it is Faria Lima stop, then subway leg is 33 minutes (tho you need to change 2x):

…sp.gov.br/sua-viagem/trajeto/trajeto.aspx…

if it is a holiday/weekend, a taxi ride will likely be faster, as you could probably get to CGH in roughly same time as subway leg only; but regular weekdays are unpredictable, you could be stuck in traffic... using a random address in central VM area, a taxi simulation at the more expensive weekend rate "Bandeira 2" puts the fare at about R$40-45.