We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Nyaungshwe for entire Lake Inle visit?

A S
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
69 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Nyaungshwe for entire Lake Inle visit?

Is there any reason not to stay in Nyaungshwe for 4 nights while exploring Lake Isle area? I'm envisioning day trips by vehicle to Kakku, Sankar, Kalaw(?), Shew Inn Thein Paya Indien Village, as well as 2 days or so out on the lake. If there is no need to book multiple stays, I would prefer not to check out and in over and over. I like the idea of trekking, but I don't think we will be doing much of that on this trip.

This would be the entire Lake Inle visit - flying in and out of Heho.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Nyaungshwe for entire Lake Inle visit?

Hi there,

Staying in Nyayng Shwe is the best way (in my opinion) as you are close to town and all the restaurants and markets. There are many longtail boat operators along the canal that runs beside the town that take you our to the lake, and Indien and it will be easy to organise drivers and guides for your other day trips.

Staying on the lake looks gorgeous, but then you are sort of stranded at the hotel and need to hire a boat for everything... One place for four nights is definitely the best approach.

When are you going? Note that there are reports of many hotels already booked out for the coming peak season (Dec - Jan) - so get in touch with an agent soon,

- K

kgbtravels.blogspot.com.au

A S
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
69 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Nyaungshwe for entire Lake Inle visit?

Thank you for the encouraging response. Any reason I should not simply book the hotel/inn online? I was thinking to book the place and my flights, and then see if a travel agent (or hotel where I book) can assist with any logistics on the ground ... i.e., car/transportation, guide(?), boats, etc.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,084 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Nyaungshwe for entire Lake Inle visit?

I also agree that staying in Nyaung Shwe is the better option. You have freedom, can go explore at night, there are good restaurants/ the market and can rent bicycles and get around to see things. There is also a good winery on the hilltop, 2kms form the center of town, nice to watch a sunset from up there while sipping wine.

Agents can arrange anything, and more often than not you will get better hotel rates if going through a local agent. As KGB above says, you'd beter get on the ball and book those hotels NOW, chances are the popular places are already fully booked for high season (Nov. ~Feb.).

A S
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
69 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Nyaungshwe for entire Lake Inle visit?

Great. Thank you both for your thoughts! I just booked a room there.

Is it difficult to get to/from the winery on the hilltop on foot? after dark?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,084 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Nyaungshwe for entire Lake Inle visit?

On foot? It is 2kms, quite a distance, and there are no street lights at all. Rent a bicycle.

N S
Nyaung Shwe, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Nyaung Shwe
Level Contributor
617 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Nyaungshwe for entire Lake Inle visit?

Easy to go by bicycle, 5 km from down town(Nyaung Shwe).

``Red Mountain winery´´

make sure your bike has light.

Edited: 17 October 2013, 13:01
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,084 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Nyaungshwe for entire Lake Inle visit?

Good luck with having a bike with a light. Stay up there & watch the sunde, then head down immediately is my advice.

8. Re: Staying in Nyaungshwe for entire Lake Inle visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 06:21