We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siem Reap to Battambang by Boat

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
739 reviews
Save Topic
Siem Reap to Battambang by Boat

Cambodian Reflections Part 2 Siem Reap to Battambang by Boat

Once we decided to take the boat to Battambang, we were eager to be on our way. At 6 AM on Monday, we were ready to be picked up by van to be transported to the dock. At 6:40 AM the van arrived with just a few people. Why wouldn’t we think that we were headed straight to the dock. This van drove around Siem Reap until 7:50 AM,overloading it with passengers and luggage. It wasn’t funny. It was dangerous!!!

We arrived at the dock about 8:15AM. Our luggage was the last to come out of the van.I’m surveying the walk to the dock…….very uneven ground….and thinking “How will we do this?”

Miraculously, a gent appeared from out of nowhere and carried both our suitcases to a boat. The trick was to get on the boat that our luggage was on! Another miracle: we did! Whatever we tipped this guy was THE BEST couple of dollars we spent in all 63 days!!!!!

Amazingly, this large crowd of people were assigned to the boats that were there(on a rotating basis, I understand)and suddenly, we were taking off. Frankly, I can’t recall HOW MANY passengers were in our boat, but we did have some wonderful discussions with a Norwegian couple , a young German couple and an Italian couple. DH and I are always the geriatric duo.

We passed floating villages…..we made deliveries of rice…..we picked up passengers…..we dropped off passengers…..we picked up other products,etc. The narrow river channels were simply beautiful. We were SO pleased that we had made the decision to take the boat!!!!! It was $22/pp and it was a magical SIX hours.

Arriving at Battambang 6 hours later was a hoot! This was not a dock or a pier….but we had to walk up a muddy hill. There were touts everywhere. Thank goodness we had pre-booked with the Seng Hout Hotel and they were there to pick us up with their van.

The SENG HOUT hotel is in an excellent location and our $18/night room was just about the first accommodation in 41 days that actually had furniture for unpacking suitcases. Given that we were only going to be here 2 nights, we didn’t take advantage of the “perk”. I’ve done a review”You Can’t Beat the Value” 4/5. We walked over to the WHITE ROSE to eat and had an extremely satisfying meal in the upstairs dining room. I’ve done a review.4/5. We did walk around a bit, but by 6 PM businesses are closed and it’s even difficult to find a place to eat.

Our room did not come with breakfast,but we found a café next to the Royal Hotel. Unbeknownst to us, our Italian friends were staying at the Royal and we spent a lazy AM engrossed in conversation. Killing two birds with one stone, we purchased bus tickets at the Royal for tomorrow’s ride to Phnom Penh and also tickets for the evening performance to Battambang’s Big Top Circus! The tickets for the performance were $8/pp. From previous forum posts, I was under the impression that performances were only 3 days/week. The performance schedule in November had performances 5 days/week…..and the shows were on a rotating basis. We had tickets for ROUGE.

The button pusher for us in the afternoon was a stroll around the Seng Hout neighborhood,stopping at a nearby Wat and having a terrific conversation with a young monk whose English was excellent.

We had dinner at “SMOKIN’ POT” just down the street from the White Rose. I’ve done a review.3/5.

At 6:30 PM we were ready to boogey over to the Phare Ponleu Selpak (the Circus) performance. We met a terrific tuk-tuk driver in front of the Seng Hout and if we were staying longer there is no doubt we would have used his services again. He’s funny, speaks excellent English and is very professional. Mr. KIM: (855)12 65 44 27. Email: kim_chhaya@yahoo.com. He took us over to the Big Top and also drove us back to the hotel later. I’ve done a review: “More than Brilliant” 5/5. If we were in Battambang long enough, I would have gone to ALL the different performances. A 10+.

Back at the hotel, we paid our bill. Off to Phnom Penh tomorrow.

Radnor, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
37 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siem Reap to Battambang by Boat

Wow, what a great detailed review. We are in Siem Reap now and will definitely follow in your footsteps taking the boat to Battambang. One question - do you think it is worth doing a day trip to Tonle Sap or will we be seeing all the same things on the way to Battambang anyway?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siem Reap to Battambang by Boat

Pleased you got to see the circus - those kids are fantastic!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
739 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siem Reap to Battambang by Boat

If you take the boat from Siem Reap to Battambang.......I think the boat trip on the Tonle Sap is NOT necessary.

Have fun!

England
Level Contributor
234 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siem Reap to Battambang by Boat

Really interesting post, we are heading that way mid Feb. When did you go as I had heard that the boat trip wasn't do-able in the dry season and had counted it out but would actually love to do it.

Edited: 01 February 2012, 09:28
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
739 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siem Reap to Battambang by Boat

We were there in November 2011. The water level was fine, THEN!

Cheers, R

6. Re: Siem Reap to Battambang by Boat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2013, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about Battambang
Recent Conversations