We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip To Battambang Countryside

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
103 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip To Battambang Countryside

We have 1 3/4 days in Battambang. We would like to hire a tuk tuk driver for one of those days in order to see the countryside. Here are some of the sites we have read about:

Phnom Sampeau

Phnom Banan

Wat Ek Phnom

Wat Baydamram

Wat Samraong Knong

Wat Kor village

Which of these do you recommend for our day tour, and in what order? We like history, and don't mind long/steep hikes, and long hours of sightseeing.

Also, on our 3/4 day, will the walking tour of the city of Battambang take up most of that time, our should we add something else?

Thank you.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip To Battambang Countryside

I wasn't particularly impressed with any of the temples, but I enjoyed going up to them. A very irritating guide attached himself to us at the Killing Cave and ruined the mood with incessant irritation.

Go to the circus if you are there are the right day. A cooking course at Nary's is fun, evening was convenient for us. Bamboo train is fun.

We cycled everywhere, except up the hill to the killing cave.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
103 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip To Battambang Countryside

Hi lamlee,

Thank you for your good ideas. We agree that it good to mix temples with other activities. And yes, we will be there on a circus day.

Here is another question. How did you get to the circus and back? The guidebooks say it is not within walking distance, and you need to arrange transportation in advance.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip To Battambang Countryside

We used our hotel's Tuk Tuk driver to go to the Bamboo railway (definately worth it despite being set up for the tourist!) then on to Phnom Banan. Its a huge climb up very steep uneven stairs but we enjoyed it especially as a lovely young Cambodian girl decided the pair of oldies needed help and a tip was a possibility! But between being fanned (it was nearly 40C) and a leg massage at the halfway point she defnately earned her tip :)

The view from the top was amazing. Afterwards we sat with our "guides" family in the shade and had some cold drinks and a chat...very enjoyable. My other half was recovering from a stomach bug so that was as far as we went but the couple of hours in the Tuk Tuk just watching beautiful rural Cambodia go by and the railway and temple were a great outing that has made us determined to return one day.

The circus is a must see...not perfect performers as they are learning but the enthusiasm was contagious and totally magical. Once again we used our hotel's driver....only a few dollars and he was full of good advise.

All in all I would use your hotels recommended driver and I am sure you will have a great time in a city that at first I wasnt sure about but at the end regretted not being able to see more.

4. Re: Day Trip To Battambang Countryside

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 04:17