We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

warning lucky laundry

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
warning lucky laundry

We sent our washing to lucky laundry on 2nd street in Battambang. Everything was good apart from my expensive white shirt cane back a yucky pale green. It was obviously washed with my green pants. I did go to see them to explain not to wash whites with colours but they insisted it was green to begin with. Oh well its Cambodia and I shouldn't bring expensive clothing while traveling.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: warning lucky laundry

I'm guessing you probably paid less than $5 for your laundry to be done...remember you get what you pay for. Not saying that you will always receive poor or substandard services. But like you said, don't bring your expensive clothing travelling, and then complain when the cheap local laundromat isn't up to "western" standards.

Well done for warning others to not bring their expensive clothing items travelling and having them laundered at cheap laundromats, and I hope you can manage to salvage your shirt somehow.

Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: warning lucky laundry

Besides, the more you dress up whilst travelling the more you can get charged if not on the ball. I wash most by hand daily then get the hotel to do the bigger stuff when needed. got a bit slack the other day and the piece rates for smalls etc was a bit over the top.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Australia
Level Contributor
371 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: warning lucky laundry

I do not take expensive clothing but I have not had a bad experience with local laundromats. My clothes have come back beautifully washed and folded.. Better job than I would do and all by hand. I am always grateful and use locals not hotels. Sorry about the shirt but ST Patricks day can now have a new tradition.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,354 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: warning lucky laundry

Taking expensive clothes to a cheap back street laundry is not a good idea, as you've discovered :). Also, always ask for the price first, if thinking of getting your hotel to do your laundry. Often they charge double, triple or even more what the laundry next door will do

I take cheap old clothing when travelling in Asia, use the cheap laundrys where everything goes in together, & have only once had a problem with laundry coming back stained How they managed to get red stains on black vests is beyond me :), I wondered if they'd used bleach or something.

All part of the fun anyway

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: warning lucky laundry

Just another word of warning about taking your cheap clothes overseas.

My wife took her cheap, thin, cotton dress overseas but when it got washed, some of it became threadbare due to the harsh scrubbing. We weren't upset as we expected this but she had to be careful wearing the dress touring!

So maybe take your only your cheap clothes that can withstand an asian handwash or take those purpose made travel clothes.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,180 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: warning lucky laundry

I've never had a problem with local laundries, whether its Vietnam, Thailand or Malaysia - we always use the local laundries (NEVER the hotel)...while I did notice that some of the dirty marks didn't quite come out of our boys clothes, they certainly did a better job than I could have done in the hotel sink, and for $4 for 4kg I wasn't going to complain!

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: warning lucky laundry

I also didn't like lucky's! My favourite denim shorts came back freyed with rips in them and dirty! I gVe it to them as they were muddy n they came back with brown stains over them. My underwear also looked the same as I when I had given them and they lost my friends pants (found them in someone else's pile)!

Edited: 12 July 2014, 03:09
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: warning lucky laundry

I also didn't like lucky's! My favourite denim shorts came back greyed with rips in them and dirty! I gVe it to them as they were muddy n they came back with brown stains over them. My underwear also looked the same as I when I had given them and they lost my friends pants (found them in someone else's pile)!

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: warning lucky laundry

That reminds me of the time my wife took our washing to the laundry across the road from Laluna in Chiang Rai.

She had this blouse; it was a pristine almost fluorescent white with ripples throughout the fabric.

It come back a dirty white and as smooth as.

It must have taken the poor woman hours to iron those wrinkles out.

Have fun

10. Re: warning lucky laundry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 09:17