We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicha and/or Haloja in and around SPA

Montreal
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chicha and/or Haloja in and around SPA

Hi from Montreal,

I am planning a trip to San Pedro in a few months and am doing research to find as many local food and drink specialities as I can. Yes, I am a foodie. ;)

I found mention of "haloja", a fermented maize drink made with algarrobo (sounds similar to a flavored chicha), but I have yet to find a place in and around San Pedro that would serve this. Does anyone know where I should look for this?

Also, are there any chicherias in SPA? I know Chile is not where chicha thrives the most in South America, but since SPA is close to Peru and Bolivia, I was wondering if there was a place in town where I could sample this drink (which I've never had before).

Thanks!

Martin

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,319 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicha and/or Haloja in and around SPA

I cannot answer your question, but chicha in Chile is a grape based drink.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,483 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicha and/or Haloja in and around SPA

The chicha of Perú and Bolivia is a different drink from the chicha of Chile, a drink of the central region and not the north. I have never heard of haloja but algarrabonina is a syrup made from the algarrobo trees of northern Perú which is used in a Peruvian cocktail and taken as a tonic. The Chilean algarrobo may be a different type of the same tree.

I have found a family run tour in Collo, near San Pedro, which does ethnic tours which include an introduction to the indigenous foods of the area. Turismo Aramaxi, ( mobile phone 09-5957567).

Montreal
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicha and/or Haloja in and around SPA

@dancingmolly: Many thanks for the info! I will definitely get in touch with Turismo Aramaxi. I presume they are good people to contact to ask such questions (and learn about indigenous foods). Merci!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,483 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicha and/or Haloja in and around SPA

A shame you won't be in Santiago this Sunday as there will be demonstrations of indigenous dishes and ingredients in the Plaza Mulato Gil at the top of Lastarria street. The event is called Mucho Chile, 10:30 to 14:00, if anyone else is around.

5. Re: Chicha and/or Haloja in and around SPA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2012, 10:23
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro de Atacama