We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long would the trip SanPedro-Uyuni be?

Which San Pedro de Atacama hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santiago, Chile
2 posts
Save Topic
How long would the trip SanPedro-Uyuni be?

Hello,

I'm trying to plan a trip to San Pedro de Atacama and Uyuni, and I'm currently trying to figure out how long the trip would be so I can buy my airplane tickets now.

If anyone has any answers to the following that be great.:

--how long are the bus tours usually from san pedro de atacama to uyuni?

--do those bus tours offer a return trip back to san pedro de atacama? (i would be wanting to fly back out again from san pedro) or if now, what is recommended for this case

I'll be traveling on a time crunch so any information would be really appreciated! Thanks!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,381 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long would the trip SanPedro-Uyuni be?

You don't go by bus but by 4X4. The usual is 3 days and a drop off at the border with Chile on day 4 if you are returning there. From there you get a bus to San Pedro and then transport to Calama, where the airport is. You sometimes have to wait for a bus to SPA at the border, so times are not possible to predict.

This is not something to attempt with a very tight schedule. The rains in the altiplano can put a dent in any itinerary. The unexpected is more the norm in Bolivia. On the 21st of this month nothing but international flights will be moving due to their census. After that you need to worry about the weather.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long would the trip SanPedro-Uyuni be?

We did a similar trip last year but started inTupiza

Bolivia. The tours will make your reservation with the bus company that runs from the border back to SPA. The way I understood it there are only two buses around 9:30 and 10:00 am they take you down to immigration at SPA and that takes a while because a lot of buses arrive around the same time. The driver was very helpful, he then dropped us at the office for the the service that takes you to Calama ( reservations are needed) we had time for lunch in SPA an d had a trip at about 3:30pm and made a flight to Santiago at around 5-5:30pm

It is a long day you usually stay somewhere several hours from the border and the wakeup call was around 4 am that morning.

3. Re: How long would the trip SanPedro-Uyuni be?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 20:16
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro de Atacama