We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too many lagoons?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Topic
Too many lagoons?

If we are planning to see Lagunas Altiplánicas and Atacama salt flat lagoons (Chaxa, Cejar, Tebinquinche...), is it redundant/just more of the same to add Aguas Calientes lagoon, Piedras Rojas and Tuyajito lagoon? Or are these a bit different and recommended additions? I have not seen much info on the later three.

Many thanks.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,923 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too many lagoons?

See them all.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too many lagoons?

What time of year are you going?

I can suggest the name of a guide in San Pedro to answer your questions.

We did not go to all of them due to the cold weather in July when we were there.

They are all different. You can go to some for sunset and get wonderful pictures.

I hope this helps.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Too many lagoons?

Thanks so much to you both.

We are going in August. What would we avoid if it is too cold?

I would very much appreciate the name of your guide!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,552 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too many lagoons?

Don't miss anything! The daytime temperatures right now, middle of winter, are around a high of 20 centigrade during the day. It is the night temperatures which go down to -1 or -2 centigrade. The trip to the geysers leaves very early in the morning and a star gazing tour is at night. Those you would have to bundle up for. If you are from Pittsburgh you can handle that!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Too many lagoons?

Thanks!

Are there many tours that include both Miscanti/Miniques and Aguas Calientes lagoon/Piedras Rojas/Tuyajito lagoon? Is it doable in a day? Or too much?

I'm looking at the map on one of the San Pedro websites and Salar de Aguas Calientes is listed in two different places--one close to Salar de Tara and one farther south. So I'm not sure where this is.

Thanks again.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too many lagoons?

Our guides were all from the hotel in San Pedro, (Alto Atacama,) and all terrific. There is a guide in Santiago named Leo Cuzmar who is fantastic. He knows the whole area. Most of the Atacama guides work for other hotels in the area as well. Read on here or ask which places are not good for winter travel excursions when you get there. Some are far away, like 2-3 hours, and not enjoyable if too cold.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 16:33
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too many lagoons?

PS

Depends on how long you are staying....we didn't have time for the 2-3 hour excursions.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
100 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too many lagoons?

Would you please give me the names of your guide in the Atacama Desert? hotel recommendation, and your ultimate itinerary. My husband and I plan on going late January/February.

Thanks!

9. Re: Too many lagoons?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2015, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro de Atacama