We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Report - 3 days San Pedro de Atacama in winter

Which San Pedro de Atacama hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Antwerp, Antwerpen...
Level Contributor
14 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Report - 3 days San Pedro de Atacama in winter

Hi All,

I was 2 weeks ago in San Pedro de Atacama for a 3 days trip. Winter is a great time to visit the place as it doesn't get too warm during the day.

I booked the travel with Maxim Experience; some trips as part of a group and some in private (to get the most out of the 3 days I was there). I would probably rate them 4 on a 5 scale: correct and responsive as clear plus, but had one day with an old van (driving at only 60km/h to the 5000m top...) which was definitely a minus.

The area is definitely a must-visit place for people that like to be in nature.

Some more info and pics can be found here photodepauw.com/english-home/…

cheers - Pieter

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Report - 3 days San Pedro de Atacama in winter

Did they book hotel?

Any suggestions of places to see or skip?

Antwerp, Antwerpen...
Level Contributor
14 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Report - 3 days San Pedro de Atacama in winter

Hi, they could book the hotel, but after they made me an offer, I looked around and found cheaper alternatives on booking.com. I stayed in hostel Laskar: relatively cheap but decent quality and clean.

On suggestions to see: see the link in my post to check my site with places to visit. On places to skip: depends on what you're after, but in case you like nature, then don't spend your time on visiting some of the very small towns like Toconao or Machuca, as those are the typical "few old houses and 10 expositions to buy the local souvenirs" which I personally dislike. Unfort, when you book a standard tour (in group), those places are most of the time included. You can tailor with private tours.

Hope this helps - Pieter

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Report - 3 days San Pedro de Atacama in winter

Hi.

Enjoyed reading the info and the shots, including the rest of your website, especially the US Road Trip bits, brought back fond memories of some of those places : ).

Poznan, Poland
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Report - 3 days San Pedro de Atacama in winter

Nice photos :-) We are going exactly there next month :-)

Edited: 14 August 2014, 11:38
Ottawa, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Report - 3 days San Pedro de Atacama in winter

Lovely photos, you are an amazing photographer.

Can you tell us further on the tours you made and pricing as well. We plan to go there in late December for 4 nights. Can you alternatively do this by renting a car or you would not advise this.

With thanks

Tova

6. Re: Travel Report - 3 days San Pedro de Atacama in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about San Pedro de Atacama