We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huangshan - Recommendations and Suggestions

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
37 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Huangshan - Recommendations and Suggestions

We are planning to visit the Yellow Mountains - Huanghasn this fall. We have never been there before; therefore, any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By the way, what age do you recommend for a child to be before visiting Huangshan?

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Huangshan - Recommendations and Suggestions

I caught the Taiping cable car to go up. I stayed a night at the summit - they are quite a few hotels. I hiked the West Sea Canyon - fewer tourists and great views.

We caught the YuPing cable car down. We also stayed a night in Xidi and Hongcun.

i think a child should be around 7 or 8 at least. Lots of walking.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Huangshan - Recommendations and Suggestions

There is a lot of walking on Yellow Mountain I think you could figure out how much in advance by deciding if you want to ride the cable cars or hike the whole thing. You know better than anybody if your kid can hike that far. We took our 3 year old to Yellow Mtn. and it was no problem - but we put him in the backpack and carried him. Now he's 7 and there is no way I'd consider hiking the whole thing with him, but maybe I'd the cable car. He's too small to walk for hours on end and too big to carry ... just at the wrong age for trekking. As long as you think your kids can hike as long as you plan on hiking I don't see any issues with taking them.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Huangshan - Recommendations and Suggestions

I took gondola up/down from Tongkou to BaiEling & stayed at the Lion Forest Hotel.

I was backpacking from the BaiEling terminal to the Lion Forest Hotel with 45min & walked to the entrance of the West Sea Canyon for 40min. I spend another 1.5H at the BaiHoi area.

D2: trekked in the West Sea Canyon (15KM for 8H).

D3: trekked to YuPing (2 X 6KM for 6H)

I stayed 3-nights in Hongcun.

Please consider the distance for the kid.

4. Re: Huangshan - Recommendations and Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2010, 05:15