We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Huangshan

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
274 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Huangshan

I've booked 3 nights in Shanghai for April and intend to have 2 nights in the water towns so that we can visit Suzhou and Tongli and possibly Zhouzhuang if it's not logistically too difficult. From there I plan to go to Huangshan, I'm aware that there's a bus from Suzhou but I don't know if we want such an early start, 5:40 as we (I) would be pretty tired to start walking by the time we arrived. So the alternative seems to be to get a fast train back to Shanghai, connect with a G train to Hangzhou and get the bus to Tangkou. It will be early afternoon by this time, should we stay in Tangkou and go up the mountain the next morning with a possible overnight stay on the summit? Is there time to go up in the afternoon? I also plan an overnight at Hongcun or Xidi then back to Hangzhou for a flight to Taiyuan.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Huangshan

It seem your itinerary is Suzhou- Huangshan- Hangzhou.

I’ll suggest;

Suzhou- Huangshan (Tunxi): by night train K8418/8419 at 22:29 and arriving at 09:00.

Tunxi- Tangkou (cable car terminal): by bus then to the mountain and will arrive the mountaintop before noon.

Tangkou- Hongcun (1.00hour) or Xidi (1.50hours).

Hongcun or Xidi- Tangkou then Tangkou- Hangzhou: by coach (3.75hours).

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Huangshan

We're not keen on night trains :-) we've been on quite a few. I think considering the difference in time the early bus would be better. But it goes to Tunxi whereas my understanding is there's a bus from Hangzhou that goes directly to Tangkou? How long does it take from Tangkou to the top of the mountain?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Huangshan

Re post#2, the route is Suzhou- Hangzhou- Huangshan (Tongkou). info are;

Suzhou (North)- Hangzhou: the 1st bus leaves at 06:40 with travelling time approx. 2 hours, @RMB71.

I don't know will the buses terminate/stop at Hangzhou Xi (West) or not, please consult the ticket officer/driver.

Hangzhou Xi (West)- Tongkou: Bus schedules are 08:00, 09:20, 10:30, 10:50, 12:40, 14:10 and 15:10. Travelling time 3.75 hours (2011.11 record), @RMB100.

Noted that there are 3 bus stations named with 'Huangshan'. Ensure the bus goes to Tongkou.

Additionally, ensure the bus uses freeway.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Huangshan

Thanks chinaloveland. I think it will be best if we stay in Tunxi or Tangkou the first night and go up the mountain in the morning. There doesn't seem to be much to choose from in hotels in Tangkou but staying there would give us an early start since we'll only have 1 day on the mountain. Tunxi appears to be more interesting if we have time for sightseeing in the afternoon. The problem is when we come down from Yellow Mountain we are going to spend a night in Hongcun or Xidi. This means we wouldn't be able to leave our luggage at the hotel to pick up later if we stay in Tunxi. I would appreciate a recommendation for a hotel in Tangkou. There's not much on tripadvisor. Is it worth staying on the mountain or should we stay at the base both nights? Confused!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Huangshan

Facing to the Tangkou bus parking lot, there is a grocery. In 2011.11, storage fee is RMB5/piece/day.

I had stayed at Tunxi (3-nights in 2010) and the mountaintop but hadn't stay at Tangkou. Don't worry, there are a lot of hotels/inns at Tangkou.

At your schedule, I suggest stay at the mountaintop that let you have more time enjoy the view. If you feel 1 daytime is enough, back to Tangkou and head to Hongcun (1 hour). Please ensure the last cable car schedule.

At the mountaintop, I suggest stay at the Shi Lin Hotel. 2-beds room is RMB480/night (2010.12 price). The restaurant is great.

The Baiyun Hotel cost RMB257/berth (5 X double decks room, 2011.11 price).

At Tonxi, 1-bed room price was RMB128/night (2010.12 price). The prices for your reference. If you're not familiar Chinese history, spent 1 hour at the 'ancient street' there.

FYI.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Huangshan

Day 1: I'm considering taking a flight from Shanghai to Huangshan and staying overnight in Tunxi.

Day 2: take bus & cable car to Huangshan Scenic Area - overnight on summit.

Day 3: Hongcun & Xidi (overnight)

Day 4: Depart for Hangzhou

As we will be staying overnight in Hongcun after coming down from the mountain would it be convenient to leave our luggage at our hotel in Tunxi or would it be better to leave it at the grocery store you mentioned in Tangkou?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,697 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Huangshan

If you plan to stay in Hongcun & Xidi then you'd better take your luggage to Tangkou as you don't want to go back to Tunxi.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Huangshan

Thanks Jean-Pierre, Have you heard about leaving bags at this grocery store? We will be travelling light.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Huangshan

I've spent all day researching hotels on the mountain. Tripavisor reviews are all terrible! Do I want to pay $150+ for a smelly low grade hotel with a hard bed? I can't decide between Shilin, Baiyun or Beihai. Should we take the 5.00 pm cable car down the mountain and stay in Tangkou? If we stay the first night in Tunxi will we have enough time to see the mountain?

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
177 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Huangshan

We were there in October. I would base your travel in Tunxi and do the other sites as day trips. One day to Huanshan, go up one cable car and go down the other, lots of steps but doable in a day. The Baiyun hotel has a great walk up lunch counter with a variety of good eats. We had noodles and a chicken leg plus a coke for a few bucks. The next day go to to Xidi and Hongcun on a day trip. Nice towns but not enough there to stay overnight IMHO. We stayed in the Tunxi Old Street Hotel which was older but very clean. It is well reviewed here on TA. The location was excellent and we had some great meals and shopping in the old street area. They have an english speaking manager and a great driver who is a bit expensive but took us to Huangshan and Hongcun in a very convenient manner.