We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Shanghai to hike Yellow Mountains- worth it?

Nomadic
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Shanghai to hike Yellow Mountains- worth it?

Hello! My husband and I will be travelling to Shanghai for a few days in March- we are avid hikers and had been hoping that a two-day or two night trip to Huangshan to hike the Yellow Mountains would be possible from Shanghai but I have had trouble understanding what our options are. It is my understanding that there is a bus we could take from Shanghai to Huangshan and back which is around six hours each way, half that of the train journey and much cheaper than a flight. My question is- is this actually a journey we should consider, or is our small time frame more hassle than it's worth? How is that bus trip, if it actually is as simple as it sounds? We are planning to arrive via train from Beijing in Shanghai on Saturday and have a flight out of Shanghai on Wednesday, and we were hoping to spend at least one or two days in the city. So we thought perhaps:

-Arrive Shanghai Saturday afternoon, spend the night

-Depart Sunday morning for Huangshan, up the mountain Monday

-Return to Shanghai Tuesday afternoon, spend the night

Are we going to wish we had just stayed in Shanghai and enjoyed the city? The Yellow Mountains look so beautiful I hate to take that off our itinerary, but the bus seems to be our only option for our time frame and I can't figure out if it's worth trying to plan that leg of our trip! We just love the outdoor beauty of China and are trying to figure out what we can actually do! Thank you for any suggestions!

Luckenbach, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Shanghai to hike Yellow Mountains- worth it?

Arrive by train to Shanghai on Saturday afternoon, make train connection to Hangzhou.

Spend night in Hangzhou.

Sunday-Arrange for a 6am pick up by private car to drive you to Tangkou and to the Huangshan Mountain Scenic Bus Terminal.

Arrive by 11am, deposit your luggage at the left luggage and bus up the mountain to take the cable car up.

If no queue at the cable car station then you should be climbing by 1pm.

Check into your summit hotel, climb until dark.

Monday-Up early to see the sunrise and climb until you want to descend the mountain either by foot or cable car.

Private car arranged to drive you back to Hangzhou and train back to Shanghai or take the late flight 1130pm back to Shanghai from Huangshan City(Tunxi).

Tuesday- If you fly into Shanghai then arrive 2am Shanghai, check into hotel.

Tuesday and Wed is for Shanghai.

This is just a hypothetical itinerary.

Do not know if you can make a connection from your long distance train BJ to Shanghai to a regional train that will carry you to Hangzhou without changing train stations.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,395 posts
822 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Shanghai to hike Yellow Mountains- worth it?

To save time, go straight from Beijing to Huangshan. The ways to do this are to take a fast train from Beijing to Hangzhou then take a bus or take a fast train to Nanjing and take an overnight train.

Luckenbach, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Shanghai to hike Yellow Mountains- worth it?

Thanks, J-PD for posting since you are familiar with China Railway.

Tipstone, you should have plenty of time for both Huangshan and Shanghai.

John_Tunxi is the "go to" guy on the Huangshan forum and has arranged private drivers, lodging and information for TA members.

4. Re: Bus from Shanghai to hike Yellow Mountains- worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 05:19