We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking a private car from Hangzhou to Huangshan

Which Huangshan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Taking a private car from Hangzhou to Huangshan

Hi, does anyone have experience taking a private car from Hangzhou to Huangshan or Huangshan to Hangzhou? We are planning to go to Hangzhou and Huangshan in July, travelling with three people.

I'm trying to decide whether it's better to find a private car from Hangzhou to Huangshan, and if we go by car, stay one night in Tunxi, trek the mountain and return the next evening by car to Hangzhou, or if we would need to stay two nights in Tunxi and take the bus both ways. We have been living in China 2 years, and speak a fair bit of Mandarin.

I can't find any previous posts about taking a taxi or private car from Hangzhou to Huangshan - if anyone has done this, would love to know how they organised it, and how much it cost.

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking a private car from Hangzhou to Huangshan

Bus to Huangshan is a much cheaper way than hiring a private car for you three. Hangzhou west bus station runs buses to Huangshan. There are express buses going to Tunxi city(about 3hrs) and regular bus to Tangkou (at the foot of huangshan with stops on the way , about 4hrs).The bus ticket is around 100 RMB.You could also call the HZ west station for more details:(0571)85222237

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking a private car from Hangzhou to Huangshan

My suggestion is to stay in Tangkou Town, the foot of Mt. Huangshan. And there are shuttle bus from Hangzhou West Bus Station to Tangkou -- 8:00,10:30,10:50,12:40,14:10; the ticket is CNY100. You could stay one night in Tunxi and stay one night on Huangshan for the sunrise next morning.

If you want to visit Huangshan only, I do not suggset you to rent a private car because for single trip from Hangzhou to Huangshan is CNY1800/ car. And if you want to rent the car for round trip, you should pay extra service charge when the car waite for you when you visit Huangshan.

If you want to visit Huangshan and around (Tunxi, Shexian, Wuyuan, etc.), please do rent a car and a tour guide with you, they could help you a lot during the trip.

Hope the info could help you.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking a private car from Hangzhou to Huangshan

Thanks JohnWong68 it's very helpful to have the details for the buses, including the travel time. We are travelling with my mother in law, so I thought it might be a lot more comfortable to go by car, but I've just seen another reply to my post, and it looks like it's a pretty expensive option!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking a private car from Hangzhou to Huangshan

Thank you Qiuxin T. This is very helpful! I couldn't find any posts from anyone who had taken a private car from Hangzhou to Huangshan, and maybe it is because it is so expensive! Great to have an idea of what it would cost, and thanks for the details on the shuttle buses. I think we will probably stay two nights in Tunxi, and just spend one day on Huangshan, but I'll research hotel options on the mountain as well. Thanks again.

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking a private car from Hangzhou to Huangshan

You are welcome Jaya, have a nice trip to Huangshan.

6. Re: Taking a private car from Hangzhou to Huangshan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 05:16