We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Mt Huangshan

Which Huangshan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Mt Huangshan

Hi, if a solo traveller wanted to maximise their time on Mt Huangshan without paying the extreme prices for a hotel on top of the mountain how could a traveller do that?

How do you get around Yellow Mountain over several days?

Would you stay closer to the park i.e. Tangkoucan and catch the bus daily? Do you have to pay entrance fees each time?

Thanks

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,333 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Mt Huangshan

Yes, you have to pay the entrance fee daily plus, probably, the cable car to get to the top.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,961 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Mt Huangshan

If you stay for several days at Huangshan, riding the cable car up daily is impractical.

Last time (year 2011) I was there, (on a Saturday) it took us 3 hours to queue for the cable car ride up to Yuping. The ride itself is 20+ minutes. And then you only reach your starting point. Each day you would walk up those same staircases again to where you want to go?

I didn't think the price to stay at those hotels near the top of the mountain was that high. It was a packaged tour. Huangshan was just one of the points visited. We didn't pay that much for the whole tour.

We have seen people doing sleeping bags out in the hallway. And some just stayed in tents out in the open. Big tent city. Those were at different rates compared to a hotel room, obviously. Though I don't know if they are available for foreign visitors or Chinese locals only.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Mt Huangshan

Thankyou for your info. Yeah, looking online, the hostels aren't that expensive.

The package deal that you got - any recommendations?

W

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,961 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Mt Huangshan

wanderer127:

The kind of package deal I'd got was a tour based in Hong Kong. They took us, from Hong Kong (HKIA), to Shanghai, Huangshan, Thousand Island Lake, Hangzhou, Shanghai and flew back to Hong Kong. I can't remember the exact figure, but was only a few thousand HK dollars. (~USD $400 to $500 maybe?) It's a package that includes airfare RT, ground transportation (basically a coach that took us all for 6 days), hotels at all those places (including 1 night at Huangshan top), cable cars, all the meals, etc.. I couldn't possibly book all these things myself to pay so little. It is the advantage of joining a tour. The downside, of course, is they dictate your timetable, places to visit, bring you to some shopping stops, etc.. The tour was conducted in Cantonese. As with these tours, there sometimes are patrons who don't speak a word of Cantonese. They just joined the tour, take advantage of the low airfare/hotels/tickets/transportation/food, just observed the sights by themselves without narration. And they still had a great time.

5. Re: Getting around Mt Huangshan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 05:15