We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too many fake reviews for Yangshuo Hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Too many fake reviews for Yangshuo Hotels

To those real members out there.

While planning my trip, I could not help but noticing that many many of the reviews for the top rated Yangshuo Inns and hotels are so obviously fake.

Many are written by members

- who signed up just before their review and mostly have only written one review

- Many of those members are using very generic profile pictures, quite often even the same pictures for different profiles, reviewing the same hotel every few weeks.

- are overly enthusiastic and positive

Many of the places link from their website to tripadvisor, highlighting how many great reviews they got.

After reading through this for a few hours, there seems to be a war among some of the hotels/Inns in Yangshuo. I have never seen this before when researching about a destination.

Any of you can advice where to get some honest reviews?

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too many fake reviews for Yangshuo Hotels

If you think a review is fake you can always report it as 'suspicious'. When reading the reviews, I often look at the negative ones rather than the overly positive ones. Then I decide if the thing which the reviewer is complaining about is important to me or not.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too many fake reviews for Yangshuo Hotels

It would be helpful if you would repeat your criticism to the appropriate people:

tripadvisor.com/help/how_can_users_alert_TA_…

I am doing this about a Shanghai hotel which all of a sudden has received four or five "wonderful" reviews, same length, same syntax, even the same comments, like "great burgers, too." This hotel suddenly went to the Top Values list for Shanghai, clearly an undeserved honor when one half the reviews are fake. It took over two weeks just to get an acknowledgement. So far I am not impressed, but we shall see.

Trip Advisor had better monitor itself better, or it will be the laughingstock of the on-line review websites.

As for your hotels in question, I just know of the two out-of-town places as quality hotels, the Li River Retreat and the Mountain Retreat. They have been at the top for almost four years. I wrote a very favorable review of the Li River Retreat when it first opened. I had inspected most of the in-town hotels and found them noisy (along the West Street area) or having off-smells of mold.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too many fake reviews for Yangshuo Hotels

Yes, I did report this to tripadvisor, let's see what they can do. I will also highlight individual posts who are clearly fake, but it's just annoying that hotels lower themselves to such a level.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too many fake reviews for Yangshuo Hotels

The hotels are no worse really than the tour guides who beg for tips and make it embarrassing to not tip them. They tell unsuspecting foreigners that it is customary to tip in China. Hogwash. Pure money grab.

There are many quality hotels and private guides in China, but also many unscrupulous characters. You must always do a reality check and not get lulled by salesmanship.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,413 posts
1,661 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too many fake reviews for Yangshuo Hotels

These fake reviews were also rampant on the Hanoi forum. I reported this also and singled out the reviews that were obviously fake as 'self promotion' to T/A. Many did get removed. It just shows the power of T/A to these hotels. We need to ensure the integrity of the reviews on T/A for the benefit of travellers/members.

I generally look for reviewers who have contributed multiple reviews.I tend to be very sceptical of 1 review wonders although many can be legitimate. But when you get many reviews in a small period of time all giving 5 out of 5 for every category I generally smell a rat.

Tommo

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too many fake reviews for Yangshuo Hotels

fully agree with your commentary SBS.

however - i totally disgree about staying "out of town". i'd stay in town though it does depend on what you are seeking.

"out of town" - once there- you are marooned - like on a desert island and at the whims of the locals. fine for some - not for me.Strange because i read what you write - controversial - but in my experience correct. And you're not afraid to call it how it is!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,748 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too many fake reviews for Yangshuo Hotels

I always read reviews made by people who have several reviews. Secondly I only focus on the worst reviews. Sometimes it is only bad luck or some people are more critical. I know no place is perfect, I just want to know what to expect.

I went to Yangshuo for the sixth time 2 weeks ago. And for the first time I tried the Mountain Retreat. It is a great place with great staff. Certainly among the best I have seen. But I may not return there unless it is some kind of romantic trip. As Skeggles I like to get out for the hotel for a casual walk, have a rink and watch people. At the Mountain Retreat you are trapped there. If you care to walk to West Street it is a 2-hour walk (estimate of the hotel staff) or you hire a taxi for 30rmb each time. It really depends on what you want.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too many fake reviews for Yangshuo Hotels

Hey Skeggles and friends,

My commentary was primarily aimed at the fact that these two places do not need fake reviews. They have been on the top for a long time, whether or not you like the location, they have genuine reviews. That is my point.

The Li River Retreat is only 2 km out, a quick 20 minute walk on a paved road. A little cardio exercise never hurt anyone. But getting there and leaving there with luggage, you really need a taxi.

9. Re: Too many fake reviews for Yangshuo Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2010, 06:18