We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xing ping to Yang di

Which Yangshuo County hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
215 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Xing ping to Yang di

Can I just check that this is the best place for the bamboo rafting?

From what i have read it sounds like an activity best done in the morning before the tourist buses arrive?

Is there anything to do or see in Xing Ping or Yang Di?

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Xing ping to Yang di

Yulong rafting in Yangshuo is popular. One common way is from Chaoyang pier(朝阳码头)-Gongnong bridge(工农桥).This rafting lasts about1.5hrs. Yangdi and Xiping is the highlight of Yangshuo hiking and cuirse. Fishing vilage and old residence can be seen here.

Morning would be better time for the clearer river water than that in the touristy time.

China Private Travel

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
140 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xing ping to Yang di

We were in Guilin the first Saturday in April and took the bus to Yangdi, there is really nothing much there, we rafted down to Xingping, it was about 11 am when we set off but there were very few large boats on the river, this may have been due to the low water level. On arrival at Xingping we had to scramble up a steep path with our luggage and caught a golf style buggy to the bus station for 5 yuan each. The town looked quite interesting and it was market day, but as we had luggage we just caught to bus to Yangshuo straight away, the bus cost 7 yuan.

san francisco
Level Contributor
503 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xing ping to Yang di

We did the bamboo rafting on the YuLong river last July; I can't remember exactly where we started and ended, but no matter which section you're in, it is absolutely stunning scenery. For us, an expected piece of fun was that at the place we began, there were people renting huge squirt guns. Very touristy, but it was hilarious, and since it was July and very hot (even though we started off early, around 9:30 or so, we all loved getting wet! There were some people floating without the squirt guns, and others just left them alone. We still were able to enjoy the scenery, and it would just depend on if you like this sort of thing or not. The only thing I'd definitely say is to go at a time when there are no large boats (but I don't know if this is just on the Li River?). We didn't see any large boats at all on the YuLong, so maybe they don't ply this river.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
215 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xing ping to Yang di

Thanks Guys. I am all set now :)

australia
Level Contributor
787 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xing ping to Yang di

Hi UK Girl

We did the bamboo ( actually its pvc piping) rafting from Xingping to Yangdi and then did the walk back down the Li River to Xingping from Yangdi . A full day and the walk back was brilliant

We stayed 2 nights in Xingping and if you climb the hill , 1500 steps , just near the docks you will get fabulous views of the area .

After seeing the views from the top you get an idea where you could cycle.

There is also an old part of xingping left and there is some restoration work going on . It is a fabulous look at the way Yangshou was back in the eighties and earlier.

If the river is up and flowing then its best to leave early we did at 7 am .This way you will avoid all the big boats coming down from Guilin and also its fabulous light for photos and the locals are moving on the water going places.

On a big day there can be up to 400 boats according to a local on our day there was over 100 he said.

Cheers and its a brilliant addition to Yangshou

Edited: 14 April 2010, 22:29
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
215 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xing ping to Yang di

Thanks for that ::

Can I ask another question?

I get scared on deep water. Irrational fear.

Are the rafts quite big and is the river deep? Clear? Can you see the bottom?

australia
Level Contributor
787 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xing ping to Yang di

HI UK Girl

No the rafts arent big They are wide enought to accomodate 2 deck chairs side by side withe motor and the driver behind you . Probably about 4 metres long . More than comfortable to travel on . The river is deep but from what we could tell only in the middle , sides are relatively shallow and thats where rafts stay . It is clear and more often than not you can see the bottom.

If you do the trip keep your eyes peeled for the buffalo by the edges . They dive under the water for river grass.

One minute they are there then they disappear and after a while they come with a mouthful of grass. Pretty neat

Cheers

Edited: 17 April 2010, 10:18
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
215 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Xing ping to Yang di

Thanks. I think I can manage that :)

Oslo
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Xing ping to Yang di

We did the hike from Yangdi to Xing Ping while the bamboo rafting on the Yulong River. On the hike we did not see many people on the trail, but the Li River flowing by next to us was busy with loads of boats all along the hike. The raft on Yulong was quiet for the first 40 mins, then very busy on the last part. The quiet was probably because we got lost when trying to find the rafting place and therefore started further up the river than what is normal. You can see it all in HD in my YouTube video:): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZEtpP2ity4

Hong Kong
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Xing ping to Yang di

Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay in Yang di and Xing Ping?

Someone told me I can walk from Guilin to Xing Ping, stay the night there, then walk from Xing Ping to Yang di and stay the night there before heading to Yangshuo.

Only problem is I can't find any youth hostels in Xing Ping or Yang di.

Edited: 24 June 2010, 06:47