We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel with a child

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Topic
Travel with a child

I'll be traveling to Yangshuo with my husband and 6 years old daughter in mid June. My husband is a bit concerned about safety near water, so is it safe to go bamboo rafting with a young child? Life vest provided? Or Kayaking with a child is more preferred?

Do they have child size bikes for rent?

What other activities are best for a 6-year-old girl?

Thanks for any help.

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel with a child

They will provide life vest for tourists for bamboo rafting and the river is usually not dangerous except it flood. Considering of the bike, you can rent a tandem bicycle for your child to enjoy the cycling trip around rural area of Yangshuo.

China Private Travel

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel with a child

Thanks, John.

Yangshuo
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel with a child

To be quite frank,The bamboo rafting on the Yulong river is the most popular activities in Yangshuo,there are two chairs and a big umbrella attached on the each bamboo raft,one guy will accompany with the tourists and push the bamboo raft forward by using a pole.Usually speaking,The Yulong river flow through a wide flat valley,So the trip is very peacefully and gently,but it's worth noting that there are some river levees were built in every 200 meters on the Yulong river before,It's 0.5m-2m high from the top to the bottom at different river levees.It's must be the most extraordinary in this trip.Two person is the decent weight for the flotage and could across the river levee smoothly.

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel with a child

I know it mostly comes in 2 chairs, but I read somewhere that others range from 1 to 6 chairs in a raft... True?? Otherwise, my child has to sit on my lap or we'll have to rent 2 rafts that's not gonna be convenient then. Anyway, thanks for the response and now I feel much confident and will sure try the popular activity.

Yangshuo
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel with a child

Yes,You are right,There are two kinds of bamboo rafting available on the Yulong river,One is a raft with two chairs mostly begin at Chaoyang wharf,It takes 1.5 hours and across 8-9 river levees along the way.It's the most popular and interesting.another one is two bamboo rafts connected together,there are one table and two benchs were set up on the raft,It's mostly suitable for the tour group and could only found around Gonglong bridge on the Yulong river(Near to Big banyan tree Park).In fact,I have seen Many Chinese parents with their child share one bamboo raft without problem.Just be careful when the bamboo raft flow down from the river levee.Have a nice trip!

6. Re: Travel with a child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2010, 06:22