We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japanese encephalitis vaccination

UK
Level Contributor
376 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Japanese encephalitis vaccination

Hi,

I'll be visiting Guilin and Yangshou for a total of 8 nights with a day trip to Longsheng to see the rice terraces in November. Is it advisable to get the japanese encephalitis vaccination? From what I've read it sounds like its advisable when there's coexisting rice and pig farming. Doing the typical tourist route will I be OK without the vaccination?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Guilin
Guilin
Guangxi, China
Longsheng County
Longsheng County
Guangxi, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,046 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japanese encephalitis vaccination

I have been there several times and never got the shot but you should get medical advice from your doctor, not a travel website. Everybody's situation and risk tolerance is different.

UK
Level Contributor
376 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Japanese encephalitis vaccination

Thanks, JPDeM. Yes, I will seek medical advice to be sure. Do you know if these regions have a problem with mosquitoes and is there pig farming along the rice terraces as well (I imagine not)? I can then mention this to the doctor when discussing my travel plans with him.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,046 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Japanese encephalitis vaccination

There are mosquitoes for sure. I never noticed pig farms thought.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Japanese encephalitis vaccination

hmm - pig farms may not be of the canadian type - though pigs are raised out there.

jap enceph - its your choice - i have had the vax - very expensive - has to be be redone every 2 years according to my doc.

doc also told me risks are - in infected areas that 1 in 100 mozzies carry it, takes 1 in 10 bites of infected mozzies to get it, if you get it 10% you will die, 80% you will be seriously brain damaged. given those choices, and my propensity to not get ill - i got the vax.

note - i liken the story of a friend of mine who thought malaria was hard to catch. he went tubing down the mekong in laos (about the only thing to do there), went back to london to visit family etc ( he lives in vietnam), got sick, spent a week in hospital in a serious condition!

5. Re: Japanese encephalitis vaccination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2017, 18:37
UK
Level Contributor
376 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Japanese encephalitis vaccination

Thank you all for your information. The person that I saw wasn't very helpful. Basically saying if I was visiting an area (and staying there overnight) with rice and pig farming I should consider it. No info about chances of catching it, she didn't even look up areas I intended to visit etc. She did say it was expensive and that I should consider using a mozzy spray with DEET especially if I don't go for the vaccination. I got the feeling I had to find out for myself if the areas I wanted to visit had rice and pig farming and decide if I wanted to go for it or not!!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Japanese encephalitis vaccination

I agree with ironman. If you are there only a short period and not sonewhere quite remote/rural (yangshuo is not really rural compared to a lot of places i've been) then probably not worth it, just use deet if in infected areas - not chinese insect repellent as it is just rubbish - bring your own. Mind you i am adverse to insect bites as well - they look really bad when they are infected.

and I wouldn't exactly believe any statistic issued that has the ability to cast a shadow on China as a country - "lies, damned lies and statistics" holds very true...

Mentioned in this post
UK
Level Contributor
376 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Japanese encephalitis vaccination

Thanks, Skeggles. Based on the info that was given to me by the person I saw together with the info I've read here and on other websites, I think a spray with DEET will do for me. At least its good to get an idea of what to expect from travellers who have been in the region I'm going to :-)

Level Contributor
4,194 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Japanese encephalitis vaccination

The following advisory is copied and pasted from the Public Health Agency of Canada web site:

"Where is Japanese Encephalitis a concern?

JE occurs in almost all Asian countries and occasionally in limited areas of northern Australia and Eastern Russia;

It is primarily a threat in rural agricultural areas, particularly in areas where there is widespread irrigation, and in rice-growing areas;

In temperate regions such as China, Japan, and Korea, transmission is sporadic with seasonal activity (July to September);

In subtropical areas of South-East Asia, (i.e.: Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, etc.) transmission can occur year-round.

A map of countries and risk areas for Japanese encephalitis is available on the website of the World Health Organization

Recommendations

Consult a doctor, nurse or health care provider, or visit a travel health clinic at least six weeks before you travel.

1. Consider getting vaccinated:

a. Most travellers to countries where JE occurs are at low risk; however those who may be at high risk should consult a health care provider to discuss the benefits of getting vaccinated.

It is recommended that the following travellers consider getting vaccinated:

Those spending one month or more in a rural area where JE is present

Those spending less than one month in a rural area, but spending a large amount of time outdoors, particularly at night

Please note, the only vaccine approved for use in Canada for those under 18 years old will be unavailable after May 2010. Discuss options with your health care provider and make sure to take personal precautions against mosquito bites while travelling.

2. Protect yourself from mosquito bites:

Whether a traveller chooses to get vaccinated or not, all travelers should be following insect precautions to protect themselves from mosquito bites. "

Source: phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/…japenc-eng.php

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
UK
Level Contributor
376 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Japanese encephalitis vaccination

Thanks for the info, TeddyBTraveller. It mirrors much of what I have been told or read about this.