We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling in Guilin and Yangshuo.. better with tour guide?

Which Yangshuo County hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Medan, Indonesia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling in Guilin and Yangshuo.. better with tour guide?

hi.. would like to explore yangshuo esp the li river, the terrace, their village. is it better if we hire local tour guide? any recommendation and how much do they charge usually? thanks in advance.

Medan, Indonesia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling in Guilin and Yangshuo.. better with tour guide?

and i am curious whether is it cheaper to explore all those tourisf spots in yangshuo by yourself? or mostly the same in case we hire local guide?

Edited: 16 August 2014, 20:43
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
985 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling in Guilin and Yangshuo.. better with tour guide?

when i was there i got a bike and just rode out into the countryside and along the Li river. big thing to do is ride the bamboo rafts down the river those you need to use a local as the oarsmen. if you are more into rock climbing the karst formations probably better you get a guide.

Medan, Indonesia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling in Guilin and Yangshuo.. better with tour guide?

if i want to explore some their villages , is it possible to use a bike? if i dont hire any guide i think i would also spend the money to hire a car? thanks

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
108 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling in Guilin and Yangshuo.. better with tour guide?

It is easy to explore the villages without a guide or a car. Thing is, if you only hire a car, the driver doesn't speak English and he won't be able to help you much.

The best way is to figure out where the villages are located, by GPS or a map or whatever, and hire a bike to get around. That will be much cheaper and earns you extra experience.

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
108 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling in Guilin and Yangshuo.. better with tour guide?

In addition, if you want to hire a tour guide, make sure you do that through a legit company. You can find some good ones with references on TA: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g298556-Activiti…

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
810 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling in Guilin and Yangshuo.. better with tour guide?

We hired a guide for one of our days in Yangshuo and found it very worthwhile. The information is in the following post

tripadvisor.com.au/…57699365

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling in Guilin and Yangshuo.. better with tour guide?

if you wish to visit beautiful countryside around yangshuo , there are many options for you .

a, buy a map and explore yangshuo by yourself

b.hire an English speaking local guide ,do biking tour;

c.hire an English speaking local guide & driver .there are several guides have good drive experience .they provide countryside tour by car / van.

8. Re: Travelling in Guilin and Yangshuo.. better with tour guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2015, 07:16