We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luoyang Train stations

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
611 reviews
Save Topic
Luoyang Train stations

I am traveling to China in April and trying to finalize the details.

I am thinking of taking the overnight train from Beijing to Luoyang. Then going to the Longmen Grottoes. In the same day I would like to take the G train to Xian.

I understand there are two train stations in Luoyang. The overnight train goes to one and the G train to Xian leaves from another one. Is that correct?

If so how far apart are the two of them? How far they from the Grottoes?

Is there a place to store luggage at the Grottoes?

Do I need to arrange for a driver to and from the Grottoes? Or if I wait will it be easy to find a taxi?

Any advice all you great TA people for this situaiton, I would appreciate it.

My other alternative is fly from Beijing to Xian take a round trip G train to see the Grottos.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luoyang Train stations

Hi me9247. I too am going to china but this august and I HAD a similar itinerary to yours. I was going from beijing to luoyang on the overnight train that originally would arrive at 657. This gives me time to go to the hostel and take the 8 a.m.tour (for longmen caves and shaolin) that leaves from the hostel. Well, I found out that the train now arrives at 729- which is a bit tight.

So I am going to xian, then G train to luoyang longmen train station.

all info gleaned from tripadvisor and the net.

1. The G train arrives/departs from the luoyang longmen station. This is different from the regular train station where the overnight train arrives. The main train station is about 12 miles from the grottoes See the first post of below

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298557-i7579-k388…

2.The Grottoes are about 5-8 km (depending on which article I read) from the longmen station.

travelchinaguide.com/attraction/…longmen.htm

(see the first forum post on the bottom).

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298557-i7579-k366…

(see bottom of second post)

I do not know how far apart both train stations are from each other.

3. is there a place to store luggage at longmen station. I asked that a few days ago! There is an answer but I hope he means the longmen station

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298557-i7579-k427…

4.driver to grottoes? I would not use them. see this post from a TA member who went already to china.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298557-i7579-k401…

I am corresponding with a TA member who is leavin 2 days from now. She will report on the longmen station re. left luggage facilities/taxi's etc. She, if i recall, is going to xian first then a day trip via G trains to the grottoes.

If your reason for flying to xian, is simply to make a day trip to the grottoes, I (my presonal preference) would be for you to take the train. Saves a night's accomodation expense and the train stations are way closer to the city (either xian or luoyang) than the airports.

please post on TA when you get back. It would help other travellers!

Thanks

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luoyang Train stations

Suggest you to get to Xian and make the one day round trip to Luoyang for Shaolin temple and Longmen Grottoes or White Horse Temple + Luoyang Museum + Longmen Grottoes, which would save much egergy and money.

Train Z19 from Beijing to Xian, 21:18-08:19, 4-person compartment, soft berth, 400RMB lower berth, 417RMB upper berth. Net Price.

Train express between Luoyang Longmen and Xian, taking less than 2hrs, soft seats at 89RMB + 107RMB. Then you don't need to worry where to store your luggage. Right?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luoyang Train stations

# 2, I just looked at cnvol.com for the train fares and the price for a G (express) train xian toluoyang is 220 rmb first class seat and 176 rmb second class seat. Where did you get your posted fare prices of 89 and 107 rmb?

I may not have gone to china yet but Idid my research. Going to xian first and taking the round trip G trains do not definitely save money. z train to xian plys G train round trip (first class seats) would be 857 rmb.

beijing to luoyang- soft sleeper is 309 rmb plus RT via G train is 749 rmb.

And you have to pay for a night accomodation at xian (assuming OP is staying in xian).

by dropping at luoyang first, seeing longmen grottoes, and then proceeding to xian, you save on that day's accomodation and avoid backtracking.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luoyang Train stations

Yes, you are correct, # 3. I was given a wrong fare from the http://search.huochepiao.com but verified it from my friends in Xian and Luoyang. 294RMB for first class and 184RMB for second class G train running between Xian and Luoyang.

298+184+417, Beijing -> Luoyang, transfer to Xian the same day; and stay 1st night in Xian.

417*2+184*2, Beijing ->Xian <-->Luoyang, Xian -> Beijing. All nights in Xian.

How many days stay in Xian, depends on your own plan, #1.

5. Re: Luoyang Train stations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 11:18