We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-day itinerary Luoyang. How to best get around?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2-day itinerary Luoyang. How to best get around?

I'm going to Luoyang in april (will just miss the festival :( ).

This is my itinerary:

* evening - train pickup - hotel

* day 1: Hotel - Shoalin Monastery - Hotel

* day 2: Hotel - Longmen grottoes - take 18:28 train to Xian from Luoyang Longmen

What would be the best, but not too expensive, way to do this?

I see driver prices for 800RMB/day, which is a bit too expensive for me to be honest.

But I don't mind spending a few hundred a day for decent transport if necessary.

Or should I stick to public transport (but probably very crowded?)

Anybody got any tips?

Thanks

Xi'an, China
Level Contributor
145 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-day itinerary Luoyang. How to best get around?

Suggesting you to take the transfer, because this could save your time looking for the bus station from luoyang to dengfeng city, once you arrive at dengfeng city, it still take you about 20 to 30 minutes drive to the shaolin temple. If I am right that you will stay in the hotel in luoyang.

If you take a private transfer there, both longmen grottoes and shaolin temple can be done in one day.

hope this would be helpful for you.

In xian, you could use the public bus from train station to the TCW museum, this is the best way to control your budget. The time you mention about the train departing luoyang for xian , is that a bullet train? If so, once you arrive at Xian North Station make sure that the subway station is right outside the exit of the train station, it costs only 2 yuan to get into the city, stay away from some of those taxi outside the station in case you get raped off.

Hope this information would be helpful for you.

regards

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-day itinerary Luoyang. How to best get around?

Thank you very much for your reply!

The train to Xian is indeed a bullet train, and there I wanted to take subway to hostel.

Yes, i have 2 nights in Luoyang.

I read that Shoalin and Longmen Grottoes on one day is a very busy schedule?

Or is it possible because I stay in Luoyang?

What is advisable? 1 day or 2 days?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-day itinerary Luoyang. How to best get around?

I don't think Dengfeng/Shaolin takes an entire day. Maybe 2/3 of a day including transport to/from Luoyang. I hope you won't be too disappointed when you see what's there. One worthwhile place to see nearby is the old Daoist temple, one of the largest in China. You can certainly get back to Luoyang city in time to see something else, maybe the underground tombs or White Horse Temple....just check their opening times. Since you will be arriving and staying the first night in Luoyang, just get up relatively early and get a bus to Dengfeng--they leave about every 10-15 minutes beginning early in the morning. Your hostel check which departures have the best/fastest buses and also direct you to the bus station. It will be a lot cheaper than hiring a car for the day, especially if you are traveling solo. I'm not surprised at the RMB 800 price and not sure you can do much better if you shop around. So I'd just get an early start and take a bus to Dengfeng, from where you can get a taxi to Shaolin Si. You can do the same in reverse; probably end up costing you a total of about RMB 150-200 for bus/taxi combos.

Second day, do the Grottoes in the morning than some in-town sights in early afternoon. When you feel you are satisfied, get the train back to Xi'an. You may be able to take an earlier train back depending on how early you start at the Grottoes. Transport on this day can just be done by local taxis, have your destinations printed out in Chinese characters for you to show drivers.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 16:36
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-day itinerary Luoyang. How to best get around?

Longmen and Shaolin/Dengfeng are too much to do in one day if coming from Xi'an and returning there. If you took the earliest morning train from Xi'an, you could go directly to Dengfeng, return to Luoyang and spend night, then Grottoes next morning then back to Xi'an midday.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-day itinerary Luoyang. How to best get around?

Thank you for your replies kvchina.

I'm aware that Shaolin isn't much and a bit of a tourist trap, but in my China itinerary this was the easiest 'sacred mountain' to get to.

I like the idea of the bus/taxi-combo for Shaolin and just taxi's for the Grottoes (it's easy to get a taxi back to town?).

Thanks a lot for all the info, it was very helpful!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-day itinerary Luoyang. How to best get around?

Luoyang central city to Longmen Grottoes is easily dealt with by taxi. Just do each way separately. Yes, it should be easy to get a taxi to your hotel/hostel or next Luoyang destination.

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2-day itinerary Luoyang. How to best get around?

We did Shaolin and Longmen in a day, arriving by bullet train from Xian in the morning and getting on a train at about 7 pm for Beijing. I think both places are easily done in a day, but then we had private transport. And the Shaolin Temple was not disappointing to us. We loved the Pagoda Forest, and at the end of our visit, hundreds of students in identical uniforms came out to practice drills, which was really cool. The only disappointing thing was in fact the show, which was really did not show enough of what Kung Fu is about.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2-day itinerary Luoyang. How to best get around?

#7, you can of course technically attend Shaolin and Longmen in a day with private transport, but even then, at least one of the two gets short shrift. Also, since this poster specifically mentioned "sacred mountain" I presume he has an interest in seeing Songshan mountain/ the Daoist temple I mentioned previously (Zhongyue Miao) in addition to the Shaolin Si. That will render seeing Longmen on the same day infeasible regardless of public or private transport.

If he's got at least 1.5 days of useful daytime sightseeing in the Luoyang/Dengfeng area available in his schedule, he might as well use them to full advantage.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 03:03
9. Re: 2-day itinerary Luoyang. How to best get around?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 05:18