We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with a free day in Birmingham

Which Birmingham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
741 posts
338 reviews
Save Topic
What to do with a free day in Birmingham

I am arriving in Birmingham on Memorial Day. Going to a baseball game Tuesday night and the Rickwood Classic on Wednesday during the day. That means i have Tuesday during the day off to see the city.

We only have part of one day but here are some thing i found that looked pretty cool. Any comments, info or advice on any of them would be much appreciated.

Civil Rights Institute

Museum of Art

Alabama Theatre

Peanut Depot

Sloss Furnaces

Red Mountain Park and the Vulcan Statue

16th Street Baptist Church

Pete's Famous Hot Dogs

Ingram Park

Ruffner Mountain Nature Center

G Man

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
108 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with a free day in Birmingham

The art museum is great, and I hear the civil rights museum is great as well. The Vulcan is also neat to see. There is also Summit for shopping (outside). Good luck and have fun!

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with a free day in Birmingham

Great list of options. It would be a long day, but you could do most of the things on the list in one day because they are close together. Just a note to avoid confusion - Ingram Park is actually called Kelly Ingram Park. The only thing that you probably couldn't work in is Ruffner Mountain Nature Center. It is a little outside of the downtown area where all of the other things are. Plus it is huge. It is actually larger in total area than Central Park in NYC.

Let us know if you need anything more.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
133 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with a free day in Birmingham

I can vouch for Pete's Famous Hotdogs. Local flavor eatery.

I would also recommend the 5 Points South area. The 5 Points Grill, Cosmos Pizza and La Mesa. There are several other great stops in this area.

Have a great trip.

Alabama
Level Contributor
86 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with a free day in Birmingham

You have some good ideas. You might also want to consider the Botanical Gardens if that sort of thing interests you.

5. Re: What to do with a free day in Birmingham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 02:16